• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Wabi Kusa vase

nayr88

Hello

So I had a crack at a wabi!
I ordered some coconut fibre/husk, cut it up and wet it down. Mixed it in with some aqua soil to make a ball....very messy!!
I then wrapped longer strands of the husk around the ball.
Tired that with fishing line to keep it tight.

Then I used a ton of moss to coat the whole ball and then tied that too!!

Here’s the result with a few left overs from my recent recent scape of the ADA 30c.

84056E85-F20B-4126-BFAC-EEDC59CBE5B0.jpeg

After the ball was made I stabbed holes and planted he left overs.
It’s now stuck in a temporary vase until Ikea delivery gets here on the 1st of June! CANT WAIT!!!

BB4AF55E-6C40-44B9-B41E-4E24D760D662.jpeg 08900DA5-5827-428D-A5B7-362E561A1E86.jpeg

I may do another and video the process.
ALSO!!! - i feel like the wabi ball should be around 75% submerged with just the top quarter and rooted planted out of the water? Is that right?

Any suggestions on water level would be a huge help.

Last edited:
Hello

So I had a crack at a wabi!
I ordered some coconut fibre/husk, cut it up and wet it down. Mixed it in with some aqua soil to make a ball....very messy!!
I then wrapped longer strands of the husk around the ball.
Tired that with fishing line to keep it tight.

Then I used a ton of moss to coat the whole ball and then tied that too!!

Here’s the result with a few left overs from my recent recent scape of the ADA 30c.

View attachment 149236

After the ball was made I stabbed holes and planted he left overs.
It’s now stuck in a temporary vase until Ikea delivery gets here on the 1st of June! CANT WAIT!!!

View attachment 149237View attachment 149238

I may do another and video the process.
ALSO!!! - i feel like the wabi ball should be around 75% submerged with just the top quarter and rooted planted out of the water? Is that right?

Any suggestions on water level would be a huge help.

Good question on the water level, especially on wabi's that don't have a cover...I'd think any with a lid will be fine even in a thin layer of water since the ball would heavily absorb the water regardless, but for the open air wabi's I've personally been erring on 75% of the ball as you mentioned.

How does the coconut husk perform? I used spaghnum moss, it's not bad but in the first while I noticed cloudiness in the water

Good question on the water level, especially on wabi's that don't have a cover...I'd think any with a lid will be fine even in a thin layer of water since the ball would heavily absorb the water regardless, but for the open air wabi's I've personally been erring on 75% of the ball as you mentioned.

How does the coconut husk perform? I used spaghnum moss, it's not bad but in the first while I noticed cloudiness in the water

The moss youve used looks good! the coconut husk does really well, not that i have much to compare it to but it for sure has done what i needed.
I got the idea from my plastering days, i remember as when i 1st started getting told about the old days when they used to put horse hair in old plaster years back, the idea of this and even the fibre added into the screed flooring for strength. It for sure made the ball very solid.

Ive added water now as im slowly peeling back the cling film...BUT i think i prefer the lower level of water, will see how things go.

Back