• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mushrooms

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
These sprang up in the middle of my lawn over night. Any idea what species they are ?

48807487613_c0acfb8f4c_b.jpg

Hi all,
These sprang up in the middle of my lawn over night. Any idea what species they are ?
They look like they might be in the Ink-cap family. All the species used to be Coprinus, they are all now something else.

They spring up really quickly in clumps and just as quickly go black and decayed. Have a look at the <"Psathyrellaceae"> pages on the Leicestershire Nature Spot web site. "Fairy Inkcap" - Coprinellus disseminatus looks a possibility.

cheers Darrel

Haha kinda looks simular to this.. And it grew on a piece of Prunus wood i found in the woods and is in a friends aquarium now. :)
index.jpg

And the fish were eating off it.

Thanks Darrel. I have a copy of Roger Phillips, but I don't know where to start with fungi. It's amazing how fast they sprang up, the lawn was mowed yesterday afternoon and this morning they appeared almost fully mature. Like you mentioned they quickly auto-digest (deliquesce), which results in the dripping black inky fluid which gives the genus its name, apparently.

What astonished me the most is how fast mushrooms can grow.. I once had one growing in an indoor plantpot. I noticed a 10mm muschroom ealry in the morning and it was 5cm at noon. And indeed gone again a day later.

You could literaly see them grow.. :) if you're patient enough to sit and watch it a few hours.

Hi all,
It is pick a name really.

I've been surveying with a proper Mycologist, and even they weren't confident what all of them were. I've found that is a good rule of thumb with experts (on taxonomically challenging groups, like Fungi, Beetles, Flies, Bryophytes), if they are happy to tell you that they don't know exactly what something is, they probably are an expert.
It's amazing how fast they sprang up
That was what made me think of Ink caps.

cheers Darrel

I recently put a load of wood chips and bark in my boarders as a mulch, mostly hardwood. When I raked it to one side to plant a few more shrubs it was riddled with mycelium, so I'm guessing it's spread through the soil and in to the lawn.

The most impressive Funghi I have come across so far was a specimen of Bleeding Tooth Fungus (Hydnellum Pekcii) growing from the side of an Oak tree. What impressed me the most was it was nearly the size of a Rugby ball!!

Looks like an thing out of a scifi movie.. Does look like it is leeching honey..

That looks right.. I have an other one for you that I encounter last the week before at my work..They looked pretty strange..

48813935548_ac96ccb400_b.jpg

These are Puffball fruiting bodies, go back and have a look if they have grown further, if they are white and enormous then they are Giant Puffball and are deliciously edible when sliced and fried as steaks.

Back