• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New build parameters

john arnold

hello

Just finished new iwugami type setup and on 4 th day i got ph of 6.5 gh 7 and kh 21! Is this what maybe making the monte carlo to melt and marsilea to brown a little also the rotala hra is melting, bit worried i got about £80 plants dying im using pressurised c02 on a 6 hr light cycle for the first week

Unfortunately little detail so can’t say much except

90% Water change, continue daily as melt is occurring
Check tank vs tap parameters

I’d switch over to 24/7 CO2 (always available)
Raise filter return at night for increased oxygenation But if tank receives any ambient light, I’d run an air pump instead from midnight to 5am

If filter is cycled, I’d add some shrimp to clean up melt as it occurs (much more effective that human hands), but then also adjust CO2 appropriately

TIssue culture or submerse plants?
Any possibility of plants heating during shipping?
Light vs CO2 vs Nutrients?
Tank temp? (20 is better than 24)

Unfortunately little detail so can’t say much except

90% Water change, continue daily as melt is occurring
Check tank vs tap parameters

I’d switch over to 24/7 CO2 (always available)
Raise filter return at night for increased oxygenation But if tank receives any ambient light, I’d run an air pump instead from midnight to 5am

If filter is cycled, I’d add some shrimp to clean up melt as it occurs (much more effective that human hands), but then also adjust CO2 appropriately

TIssue culture or submerse plants?
Any possibility of plants heating during shipping?
Light vs CO2 vs Nutrients?
Tank temp? (20 is better than 24)
Hi
Ei dosing 25 degrees, mostly tissue cultures,
Pressurised c02, twinstar 600 on about 70%, filter is cycled i got rocks from scotland while on hols and at moment have one rock in a bowl to test water on that alone, did vinegar test on rocks first and no fizzing

ADA soil or ?

Some have (apparently) experienced substantial melt with TC plants and ADA

Most TC don’t need high nutrient levels, so maybe decrease your EI dose - what are your macros & micros?

CO2 level? Is it 15-25ppm during ambient light hours? 30-40ppm during photoperiod?

Twinstar S or E?

I’d drop temp to 20C

Vinegar isn’t the most conclusive acid to test with, stronger acids are better - especially if rock has “surface” layer from outdoor environs

I'd also drop the light intensity 70% first week seems high to me 50% would be better as the plants transition and agreed with alto drop the temp do as much water change as possible 100% if you can what's the flow in the tank like is the mc getting the co2 are you adding liquid carbon as TC dont tend to like it till there established
Cheers
Jay

I'd also drop the light intensity 70% first week seems high to me 50% would be better as the plants transition and agreed with alto drop the temp do as much water change as possible 100% if you can what's the flow in the tank like is the mc getting the co2 are you adding liquid carbon as TC dont tend to like it till there established
Cheers
Jay
Ok cheers yeah flow is good with oase 350 bubbles everywhere I will drop the lights a little too tonight but isn’t KH of 21 really high

Is the ph a stable 6.5 or is it fluctuating have you been doing the daily water changes on a new setup

Ph fluctuation not sure as not tested till yesterday, doing big water change tonight and will test before and after

Those water changes need to be religious for the first week at least every day as much as possible

Ph before water change 6 gh 8 kh 3 my readings from yesterday were bit wacky must have been me, ph 7 after 90% water change, will check tomorrow when water has settled and filtered more

What substrate are you using what's the ph straight from the tap and you need to do another water change today sorry

What substrate are you using what's the ph straight from the tap and you need to do another water change today sorry
Tropica powder complete over top of some old Tropica .. yeah I’m on it for water changes. Oh from tap is I remember ph is about 7.2 appx

How are you measuring the co2 tropica soil is a good choice are you using a ph pen to measure ph
Cheers
Jay

Ok so are you achieving the ph drop of one to give you the 30ppm or co2 drop checker should be a nice yellow as you dont have live stock do you?

Ok so are you achieving the ph drop of one to give you the 30ppm or co2 drop checker should be a nice yellow as you dont have live stock do you?
Yep yellow and no livestock hope the plants recover didn’t happen last few time I planted a tank so cannot think why this time .. puzzling.. I have 7 tanks in all from 4ft to nanos and shrimp tank been doing this for year and a half now and really into the aqua scaping side of it

Its just one of those things mate every tank is different I've just ripped an iwagumi down cause I did a dry start and it all went wrong so Sunday tipped it out saves a few plants placed a plant order at AG and started again tonight
15621848457389199600501464807794.jpg

Its just one of those things mate every tank is different I've just ripped an iwagumi down cause I did a dry start and it all went wrong so Sunday tipped it out saves a few plants placed a plant order at AG and started again tonight View attachment 125603
Nice scape what a bummer well I’ve seen some new growth between the mulch so hopefully it will pick up

Back