• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andys HC propagator step by step

Thanks for all the replies.

@tam lol. great description of cautious watering, thank you!

@kadoxu - Soil is Jon Innes No. 3. That's some great growth you have there, exactly what I'm hoping for.

I'll move the lights closer and see what happens. This is going to be a tricky one because I finally got my Christmas Moss to take off with everything where it is now! I'm going to take a photo of it now in case I kill it! lol.

Thanks again for the pointers. I'll post back.

I'll move the lights closer and see what happens. This is going to be a tricky one because I finally got my Christmas Moss to take off with everything where it is now! I'm going to take a photo of it now in case I kill it! lol.

If you find it's too bright for the moss (haven't tried that) you could use a bit of shade netting between the moss/light or anything that cuts it down a bit.

Good luck!

@tam - Thanks, I've got some shade netting over it at the moment, it's taken off since I added the shading, shaded Java in the same propagator started growing straight upwards for the light, so I've seperated them and removed the shade from the Java.

I might get some proper lighting sorted like @kadoxu - I have lamps everywhere!

Thanks again, I'll post back in a few weeks when things have changed one way or another.

Hi all, A lot of it is down to time of the year. November and December are poor times to try and grow plants inside, because of the low ambient light levels and short days. If you can keep them ticking over they should do better once the day length starts to improve in February.

@Kadoxu's plants show the sort of growth you could get during spring or summer.

cheers Darrel
Those pics are from November/December last year. But as I said, I had a Chihiros LED above the propagator and the propagator has a heated base as well. :)

This one was 19th Dec 2016, about 1 and a half months of growth
img_20161217_182307-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd share a picture of my, very neglected, tray. It's been outdoors since spring, going between flooded to almost bone dry and back, then I stuck it in my little greenhouse with everything else in the autumn. I'm not sure if it's actually frozen in there, but it's certainly got pretty close. It's a mix of dwarf hairgrass and lilaeopsis mauritiana. Can't remember whether it's soiled based compost (John Innes no. 3) or lilly compost, but it's not had any fert top up.

Don't know what the moss is - it's just added itself.

Attachments

• 20171220_130940.jpg
    20171220_130940.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 429
Has anyone tried growing anubias in a heated propigator?
Was thinking about buying Pangalino and milky-way. Possibly buce in the future.

I was wondering about using Rock wool for the substrate to try and stop the root system rotting. Then fertilise using a double dose of EI. Doing 100% water change every week. Do I need a small sump pump to try and circulate the water?

If you keep the progator closed for 23 1/2 hours a day, will the humidity stay at +90%, has anyone measured the humidity? Just saw some reptile foggers and wondered if they would help?

Im guessing if I did add any extra led you can run them for 18 hours a day.

Thanks in advance if anyone can answer my awkward questions.

Hi
I had bucephalandras in propagator tied on small slivers of lava rock (5mm ish high) over moist but not too wet compost with osmocote in it as I normally setup for the other plants. It grew but nothing special and slower than in my low tech so I gave up.The soil I used may have been a little too acidic for them as I think about it now.Maybe will give it another try with different brand soil that is neutral or a little alkaline this time.And give them a spray with Rhizotonic (Canna) to help the root formation so they get to the soil faster.
U dont need to worry about the roots rotting they were sound deep in the compost.As long as rhizome is on top all is good.I had my lights on 6am till 11pm and all other plants were flying
Regards Konsa

Last edited:
I last posted in this thread back in December 2017 - I lost one propagator and was really struggling but the other one has gone OK and has been ticking over since then on just water topups and nothing else.

Propagator is heated - I haven't had it constantly, but I try to keep it on as much as possible.

Lighting is just Ikea grow light strip - the prop is at the bottom of a 3 shelf unit.

Anyway, it's looking a little brown here and there, but I thought I'd post it up just to show it's still going!

prop.jpg

Back