• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Has anyone tried LED bulbs such as Philips for lighting their tank?

castle

It depends on what you need them to do... brighter doesn't necessarily mean better.
For plant growth, for instance, I would say no...
Beam angle: 200º
Colour temperature: 2700K

But if it's just to see the tank better, why not?

You really need a tighter beam angle, generally less than 90º so the light ends up in the tank, rather than spreading around the room.

Also a higher colour temperature say 4000-9000 Kelvin or else the greens of the plants will look drab.

As for lighting your room, these light are very good, as for your tank 0 out of 10.

But they'd be in a lampshade ;)

Okay okay, I won't be bothering with these!

Most aquarium LED offer a 120* lens, early versions were 90* - some companies such as EcoTech still offer the 90* lens as an optional replacement

If you look through zozo's journals, he's done a good deal of DIY including light options
2nd The Stove

Last edited:
Most aquarium LED offer a 120* lens, early versions were 90* - some companies such as EcoTech still offer the 90* lens as an optional replacement

If you look through zozo's journals, he's done a good deal of DIY including light options
2nd The Stove

:) I'm using the dimmable GU10 Cree epistar led spots 12 watt at the time.. 5 spots at 100% is far to much for my low tech.

But the whole setup will be converted to the 12 volt - 12 watt dimmable MR16 spots with COB led :) also much to strong at 100%..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Brigh...hash=item43e2adc5c4:m:mDAKbTMvm8wR_HhmcbFudng

So dimmable is a must, make sure they are if you buy any.

That 60° beam angle is somewhat vague

Last edited:
Reactions: xim
Ahh, to be honest, I was just thinking making something like this could have been achievable

472273_c4edc683dac0451fb524a6896fbf060b.jpg

Unfortunately the journal of this tank has no more pictures. Only this video..

He used ikea spots and looked awsome.. :) You'll see a bit of them in the video.

Looks very good, surely those ikea spot lights aren't comparable to high warmth lights we buy for our tanks?

Ahh I meant temperature, to be honest, I've only ever bought t8s, and growbeams. Only now looking at other options.

Hey dude check out lighting episode by Scapefu. Cara wade I think had very good comments. If it's a bright light, it will grow plants.

Hey dude check out lighting episode by Scapefu. Cara wade I think had very good comments. If it's a bright light, it will grow plants.

Yes that was a nice podcast.. But scapefu.com is offline since some time... :( I'm not able to find anything of it back, dunno..

Philips makes a PAR38 led bulb that easily grows plants. I don't remember the kelvin rating(5500 or 6500) but many reef aquarium keepers use them in their sumps to grow macro algae.

setting up a shallow and wide riparium and I was hoping to use the Philips par38 led bulbs that are 12w with a 35deg beam angle. ..

i will set up a tight array of 6-8 of them 36-48" above the substrate and I will get good coverage without a spot light effect... that's the plan and at $15 a pop, it won't break the bank... it's worth a try before I commit to any of the ridiculously expensive name brand options like Kessil. .. I could buy 33 par38 bulbs for the price of one Kessil 360

I'll do it and report back... maybe one day I will get a PAR meter to.measure the light

Well 2 years later I think I can say they work...

46562735441_8b6a6a83b9_b.jpg

They are dimmed to 55% for 6hrs with dawn and dusk, 75% noon for 30min, and 2hr moonlight at 5% which uses only one of the lights for some reason... I'm a using a Lutron dimmer hard wired and a smartbridge attached to my router...

46510776352_d2cd9e7b56_b.jpg

46510775932_45c7d3dae4_b.jpg

I really need to get a PAR meter... i hate not knowing... 100% and I had too much algae even at 36" above the substrate...

Have you see this one yet.. :) The TC423?
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/TC42...108.1000016.1.619515cb38SSfS&isOrigTitle=true

It's a 5 channel programmable timer/dimmer for VAC 220 also at a $ 40 price it might be a affordable option to get better control of the lights.
It has 1 Amp per channel, that would 220 watt, quite a bit enough for several bulbs per channel if necessary.

Tho i have no personal experience with the 423, but software is the same as the (VDC12/24) 420 i'm using and it works a charme.

BTW your F. Pumila seems to grow rather well!? Looks nice.. :)

Back