• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Continuation of Dutch's Emersed Setup, Greenhouse Edition.

DutchMuch

You can see the original journal here >
https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plant-physiology-emersed-culture/136530-dutchmuchs-emersed-setup-big-ol-greenhouse-3.html#post992735

And it has begun...

ZEnKT9r.jpg

W4gYZLn.jpg

91FvI45.jpg

qU6crEr.jpg

6nAAagp.jpg

Planted the tubs as follows:

From left to right:

Tub 1:
-Rotala mac
- Rotala h'ra

Tub 2:
-Hygrophila Araguaia
- Dwarf Lobelia Cardinalis

Tub 3:
- Empty

Tub 4:
- Empty

Problems i have encountered:
Its so cold in the attic, that the soil is actually freezing. Looking/open to suggestions.

You could use reptile heat mats (although obviously there is a cost to that). I'd also suggest adding a fire alarm, if you don't already, if you're using heating up there just on the off chance there are any issues.

Dwarf Lobelia Cardinalis

I'm very curious what this is going to be.. :) Since the regular Lobelia cardinalis in emersed form easily grows into + 1 metre plant with in a few months.
No idea about the so called dwarfed variety, that one isn't available outside the aqaurium hobby.

I'm very curious what this is going to be.. :) Since the regular Lobelia cardinalis in emersed form easily grows into + 1 metre plant with in a few months.
No idea about the so called dwarfed variety, that one isn't available outside the aqaurium hobby.
i have grown it before i believe i have an image in my files somewhere...

Ah, here it is.

ZGOMs74.jpg

Hi.
I can confirm that Hygrophila Araguaia grows very well too in emersed setup.I was using heat mat as suggested last winter.Condensation was blocking lots of my light tho.
Regards Konsa

i have grown it before i believe i have an image in my files somewhere...

Ah, here it is.

ZGOMs74.jpg

I've never grown it like that.. It still looks rather simmular to submersed form likely the high humidity under the lid.. I've only grown it in the garden like this..
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.americanmeadows.com%2Fmedia%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2Fcache%2F1%2Fimage%2F2664a1c26d20ff89f08769f165108d16%2Fl%2Fo%2Flobelia-cardinalis-cardinal-flower.jpg

Last yaer grew it in an open top aqaurium in the garden also kept growing to a metre tall.. What stayed submersed also stayed rather small too depending on the light source. :)

Did you ever grow that dwarf variety on the window sil without cover?

Did you ever grow that dwarf variety on the window sil without cover?
without a cover.... i cant say i have! That would be an interesting experiment now would it?

It's native to northern USA, so it should do fine.. :)
in a private emersed setup i have i did an experiment with windelov java fern see if i can get it emersed and i did, its been a few weeks its grown around...

3 inches?

Checked it this morning,
so far everything surprisingly looks exactly the way it was when i put it in there lol.

Nothing died at all, not even yellowing from transition yet.

Didnt visibly see new growth yet but i didnt open the lids to look.

Good progress so far

2 month overdue update on *ALL* My emersed setups.

Here is the organization systems im using since i have so many emersed setups now. All growing successfully and some just started!

Setups:

A- 6 tubs
B- 2 tubs
C- 2 tanks

I have not taken any images, nor checked on setup category A in a long time- everything is still dormant as i call it. Which honestly, im surprised, but nature has its own mind!

So i only have updates and images on setup categories B and C.

Here is the update for setup category B:

Tubs B1 and B2 have been doing great! tub B2 until the other day only had windelov java fern in it, and acted as a holding tub for plants i just had no use for nor' had the intention to sell or use... But i've changed that now and tub B2 does officially serve a purpose in this wonderful plant community!

Tub B2 now contains the following:

Ludwigia super mini red

Java fern 'windelov'

Dwarf lobelia cardinalis

Here are the Images of tub B2

wUPrUHk.jpg

miyayKC.jpg

Here is the update for tub B1

Tub B1 contains the following:

Hemianthus Glomeratus

Hydrocotyle Japan

Duckweed

Dwarf Baby Tears

Tub B1 has been growing very well, fast growth from everything in it. It is Very flooded, meaning th water level pretty much covers the top of the soil. I really dont do anything to it other than fill it with water when i fill it needs it, which is once a month maybe. Its pretty self sufficient. Same as all the other setups and tubs.
Lighting on this tub is still the good ol Archaea full spectrum led. I had purchased it originally for the 40b back in the day and turns out i thought it was way to... Narrow, for the width of the tank- so i went ahead and tossed it aside, buying the T5HO for the 40b. Fast forward a year or more and now it has a permanent use as a light for emersed setups. Still as clean as if it were out of the box, except the cover for the actual LED's isnt glass its plastic which requires cleaning in spare time. I also do this about once a month but its not something i really have trouble with. Its just a cheap material. For the price, (around 200-400$) i would expect better. But the LED's on it work so you cannot complain as far as that haha.

Here are the images for tub B1

ScawytO.jpg

NrmVtBg.jpg

And here is an image of the Category B setup.

014sLUb.jpg

Moving on, we have Category C!

Category C is, pretty nice in my opinion. Tank C1 and C2 are Both Fluval Spec V's - making them look pretty minimalist and slick, and fit perfectly on their stand.

Here is the information on tank C1:

Tank C1 is a brand new tank, i made it early today actually. Because previously it was a sitting tank of stagnant water of which a heater exploded in and killed all the plants i had growing in it. That was months ago, so now its officially and PERMANENTLY a emersed setup. The lighting on tanks C1 and C2 are both different, in every aspect except the fact they are both LED's. Tank C1 has the classic Fluval Aquasky on it, Which is a commonly known relatively "cheap" RGB adjustable LED lighting fixture.

Tank C1 currently houses:

Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Bronze'

Bacopa sp. 'Colorata'

Dwarf Lobelia Cardinalis

Dwarf Sagitteria

Here are the images of tank C1:

45jYY4c.jpg

9mOFQ0C.jpg

5PLaUSQ.jpg

SbUegyW.jpg

Here is the information on tank C2:

Tank C2 is a aged tank, its pretty simple... It is Very humid and contains a lot of moisture compared to the other tanks.

Tank C2 Contains the following:

Althernanthera reineckii 'mini'

Dwarf Baby Tears

Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red'

Rotala 'indica' true

Rotala H'ra

Here are the images for tub C1:

HXfHiv1.jpg

ZAYAknG.jpg

2QTqXgv.jpg

zkKqDsc.jpg

Here is an image of Setup Category C:

rzmk8v2.jpg

Lastly We have Setup Category A:

Here is the information on Setup Category A:
Setup category A contains 6 tubs, each are approximately the same size, and have glass lids. These tubs are lit with 2, 4ft - T5 lighting fixtures with 6500k bulbs, 2 bulbs in each light.

Setup Category A (All tubs) Contain the following:

Dwarf Lobelia Cardinalis

Hygrophila sp. 'Araguaia'

Rotala Mac

Rotala Rotundfolia

Rotala H'ra

Althernanthera Reineckii 'Mini'

Cryptocoryne sp.

Rotala 'Indica true'

And others (forget the names)

Unfortunately there are no current images of Setup Category A.

You moved those tubs out of your attic right. I would think that summer time in Georgia the attic would be over 100 degrees.:)
Everyone thinks temp is a issue

The only issue with temp is when i gets cold, if it is over 100 degrees it doesnt matter

High temps in the greenhouse if you look on the APC journal was 110 degrees F.

Avrg was around 95.

Avrg humidity was around 35%-70% inside the greenhouse itself and some tubs with glass lids had a avrg of 80-95% humidity for selling

The tubs in the attic did not work to an extent, they were pretty crappy, not to mention the lighting and how cold it was up there with no insulation, however i must admit it was an experiment and the real stuff went down in the fish room like tubs C and the rest.

From my experience, here is a general code i have found and follow with great results when growing emersed, this is assuming the plant(s) have natural sunlight, and are in a controlled environment.

• Heat+No Humidity=Death
  • Heat+50% Humidity=50% survival rate
  • Heat+80%+Humidity=97%survival rate
  • Cold+No Humidity=Death
  • Cold+50% Humidity=10% survival rate
  • Cold+80%+ Humidity=Death

Now if you have a cold climate u CAN grow but you need an artificial heat source. If you are going to have a cold Season then simply put hay on everything as a large majority of the plants will simply go dormant like perennials do. Even the re-seeding annual aquatic plants can survive a -10 degree winter by going dormant and having some insulation. Simple as throwing hay on everything, no specific measurement other than "A lot".

The given ratios above do not include plants that go dormant. Its just for "if they grow" or not / die.

Striking colours on the lobelia c.
Thanks i appreciate it!
I was very surprised on how it began to grow sideways, similar to how ludwigia sp. will grow when emersed sometimes.
It adds a very nice pop of color in contrast to the bacopa and baby tears. I like how it turned out. Now to wait for the baby tears to spread!
The baby tears is Very slow, reason being because it grows x10 faster in a environment that is very wet and flooded, so that the roots are 100% in wet water filled soil. Compared to how in this setup, the plant is in a Moist soil, with a very humid atmospheric environment. Its neat to see the difference!

I have also been trying to find out why the bacopa Strictly grows to the left as you can see in the update FTS image. I would think its light but the light is the same throughout the whole setup so im not sure whats going on there.

Back