• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim3 Filter HELP

oddn0ise

My Eheim3 350 is 2/3 years old and runs well. The flow was slowing and it felt time to take out the Purigen and have a quick clean.

After a swift filter change, I got everything back together and then switched the filter on and could hear there was water moving in the filter, but it wasn't flowing back into the tank.

I kept bushing the button to prime it and then started sucking air from the inlet pipe to draw the water through, but it wasn't coming through.

I have retaken the filter head off and the only thing that feels out of place are the inlet parts shown in front of the filter, see pic. They felt loose. Could they be an issue?

Have returned everything and started the filter again but no flow back into the tank, when I press the prime button it feels like the filter is close to stalling....

Any other help would be appreciated as I can't see anything wrong.

IMG_1535.jpg

oddnOise

On my inlet and outlet I would pour water into them until it was full. I think you might have an air lock. Make sure the filter is also full.

If this fails contact Eheim as they have an excellent service Dept. If the shop you bought it is a Licenced Eheim Dealer contact them first.

Keith :wave::wave:

How about just trying it the old way: take the filter outlet hose out the tank and below the surface, Suck on it till gravity starts the flow, let it flow a bit in a bucket, pinch the hose closed and transfer back to the tank underwater. Start pump.

oddnOise

On my inlet and outlet I would pour water into them until it was full. I think you might have an air lock. Make sure the filter is also full.

If this fails contact Eheim as they have an excellent service Dept. If the shop you bought it is a Licenced Eheim Dealer contact them first.

Keith :wave::wave:

I filled the outlet pipe with water and yes you were right a really large air lock. Took a while to get going but finally it was up and running.
And have now fitted a spray bar which I've been meaning to do for ages, thanks everyone for your comments. Stopped me heading straight off and stupidly, buying a new one.

Bit late but I find it easier to restart canister filters - regardless of brand though currently only own Eheim - with all lines & filter empty

It doesn’t take much to start the water flow through the inlet when there is no backpressure from water already in the (connected) system

I dislike the prime button, which is a definite weak point on most canister design, including Eheim - especially in the Professional 3 series which seemed prone to leaks inside the filter head with repeated (normal) use of the prime system (Big Als Thomas has a video on this leak issue & how to repair it)

Instead, once everything is back in place, filter empty except for media, release the tubing from canister, start flow from the inlet - Edvet style :D - close valve, reinstall onto filter, open valve and filter refills etc

For the ultra cautious (me :p) set the outlet spraybar above the water so it’s just air spitting into air - this again decreases any backpressure reducing likelihood on any air remaining trapped in the filter AND prevents that splashing/spitting water :eek:

Plug filter back in and off it goes

EXCEPT if you’ve forgotten to replace the impeller :oops: :oops: :oops:
(after cleaning)

Back