• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I am failing with a low tech

Dolan

I have a low tech tank with the following:

My photoperiod is 6 hours

I have had it for about 3 months now, made sure its properly cycled using a fishless cycle

I didn't add fish until 2 months after. Maybe that was a bit long, but hey.

All my plants are dying and I am getting huge algae as seen on the glass

Plants:
I am most concerned that my Amazon Swords and S.Repens are dying because I want to get more root feeding plants.

Could anyone think of any reason why this is failing?
Could it be the substrate? (I know Amazon Swords are heavy root feeders). Maybe I need root tabs?
Could it be me adding the fishes too late? (so fish waste cant feed the plants)
Is there something wrong with my lights?
What if I used soil as a bottom layer?

veiiK9T.jpg

My initial, non-expert, analysis is that you have too little plant mass with too much light intensity.

I would do a restart: save the fish in a bucket with airline, clear the algae in the tank, remove all decaying plants, do a large water change, then restart by planting lots of plants, especially fast growing stem plants. The plants you have are mostly slow-growers.

Hope this helps :)

If I do a restart, would you think using organic soil + cap it off with the original substrate be a good idea?

Dolan

Very nice filter which irrigates the surface
That does not make it a good filter brand name and model information.

I have had it for about 3 months now, made sure its properly cycled using a fishless cycle
How was it tested? Can you post a full water parameters

I didn't add fish until 2 months after. Maybe that was a bit long,

and how it was done

I think you have done ok.

My suggestions:
1. Can you dim the light by 20%?
2. Clean the algae and siphon as much as you can.
3. Start dosing a complete all-in one fertiliser
4. 50% water changes weekly
5. Reassess in 4 weeks.

Are those java ferns buried in the substrate? if so, you need to make sure the rhizomes are not covered.

Dolan

Very nice filter which irrigates the surface
That does not make it a good filter brand name and model information.
How often is it cleaned and how is it done.
Water change what percentage and how often?

Feeding amount and how often

How was it tested? Can you post a full water parameters and how it was done

I didn't add fish until 2 months after. Maybe that was a bit long,
It is possible to have a fully planted tank and no inhabitants at all.

I am getting huge algae as seen on the glass
Why have you let it happen its easily cleaned off as soon as it starts.

With rooted plants I would prefer a deeper substrate. Looking at the number of Swords now as soon as they start growing they will over crowed your tank very fast.

Info from Tetra
Optimal maintenance of aquaria plants: For permanent healthy and magnificent plant growth, we recommend a monthly root fertilisation with Tetra Crypto and regular leaf fertilisation with Tetra PlantaMin or Tetra PlantaPro. In lush planted aquariums an additional enrichment of the important plant nutrient CO2 is recommended (e.g. using the Tetra CO2 Optimat or Tetra CO2 Plus). Furthermore a daily illumination time of 10 - 12 hours with constant light intensity (regular change of light source, every six to twelve months) should be assured. Avoid direct sunlight in the aquarium, as this promotes algae growth.
A few things for you to think about.

Sorry to say your tank is extremely dirty and very difficult to see into the tank.
Do you have the filter inlet and outlet at the same end? If so not a good practice opposite ends gives you a better flow.

RH end what is there, a measuring cup, a white?and a yellow?

Where to go I can only see one good solution completely strip the tank down, re home all the fish and plants and, start afresh. This sounds very drastic and it is for a beginner. Do a lot of research on how to set up, cycling a tank, substrate and planting.

Most important of all take it slowly and get every thing perfect before you start.

Keith:wave::wave:

I would do a good clean ( also rub the leaves of the plants to remove the algea)
I would add a lot of floaters to decrease the light
I would do waterchanges once or twice a week (try to do 50%/week for a month or two)(and combine it with maintenance)
I would add some light ferts ( EI or some all in one solution WITH N and P)
keep this up for 6 weeks and show us the results

Definitely add some floating plants to help decrease the light and help outcompete the algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and how it was done

I acclimated the fish slowly. I left it in the bag for 45 minutes, then after, slowly added tank water into the bag while the bag was still in the tank.

I would add a lot of floaters to decrease the light
Definitely add some floating plants to help decrease the light and help outcompete the algae.

Can you recommend me some to buy?

I would do waterchanges once or twice a week (try to do 50%/week for a month or two)(and combine it with maintenance)

As of yesterday, I am doing daily water changes

I would add some light ferts

I have added root tabs under the Amazon Swords. Is this enough? or should I do liquid column dosing too?

Furthermore a daily illumination time of 10 - 12 hours with constant light intensity

I am not entirely sure leaving it on for that long is a good idea?

Do you have the filter inlet and outlet at the same end?

Nope, intake is in bottom right, outlet is a spray bar on top left aiming into the water at a 45 degree angle, so circulation is pretty good

Amazon frogbit or water lettuce - duckweed can be difficult to control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RH end what is there, a measuring cup, a white?and a yellow?

Haha. It's a sieve. Shouldn't be there, will be removed. The yellow thing is part of my automatic water changing system. It periodically changes water for me everyday. The yellow is a sponge guard to prevent the fish from being sucked into the system.

Also that light at 15W seems to be very faint!!! Can you confirm the wattage?

Hi all,
I have had it for about 3 months now, made sure its properly cycled using a fishless cycle...I didn't add fish until 2 months after. Maybe that was a bit long,
Should be fine, planted tanks don't need cycling in quite the same way as non-planted tanks, so not having any ammonia addition for a while isn't a problem.
The Amazon page says 11W. So it's probs 11W
That probably isn't enough light.

I've had a standard Chihiros A series light for a couple of years and they seem quite good, and definitely bright enough. I like a reasonably bright light, but then I use floating plants to regulate the light level, and as an <"indication of when to feed the plants">.

cheers Darrel

Back