• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windows 10, anyone else having issues?

I know there's a few techy people resides here so anyone having issues updating W10? The update process appears to be screwed right now for me. Spent the last two weeks downloading 1gig plus updates just for them to fail every time. First time I've had a Microsoft computer in 15 years and quite shocked at the lack of support. Seems like the only place you can get any help is on support boards that MS don't frequent and some of the advice you get shouldn't be for the normal user.

I managed to get one of four to install by using CMD prompts to shut services down and emptying out folders containing update files and downloading the update manually. One update says it isn't even compatible with my software even though it comes direct from MS!

Not acceptable really for their latest and greatest OS, feels a bit like its still in beta.

I've been a MCP - system admin for a few years from XP to W7, i stopped at W7 and still using W7.. But in a way things didn't change that much. Especialy that without any detailed information it is very difficult to pin point the problem, because different issues can cause simmular behaivor like in your case updates not installing correctly etc.

There are different work arounds you could try to solve the problem at several system levels. Most common once are listed and explained here
http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/1001411/how-to-fix-windows-update-in-windows-10-if-it-becomes-stuck-1
For the novice user a system restore to a known date from the past where all still was OK is the easiest way. If the problem occured to long ago and you don't know anymore or system restore can't solve it you need to try the rest. For example if it reoccors after a succesfull system restore, you likely have a conflicting/corrupting update, than the diagnostic tool can revael the culprit..

If all these steps don't solve it, than it sits deeper into the system and we need to have much ore specific information about what exactly is happening. Best way to get around it is visiting and asking Windows Tech forums with advanced users and Microsoft Certified professional members..
https://www.windows10forums.com/

Thanks @zozo Ironically the first link you posted is the one I found which got me away with one of the updates, I'll register with the forum linked which seems a lot better than the ones I've been trawling through looking for answers. The PC I use I bought as a bit of a sofa surfer, its a tablet/laptop combo where the keyboard detaches so it only has 32gig of on board disc space. Bit of a pain when some of these updates are 1gig plus and usually needing another gig to install so I tend to clear things out as much as possible and don't even have restore knocked on which isn't ideal. Would be helpful if I could use the memory card as the home of the update folder but I can't see that happening. I have any apps that will be moved to card over there and my docs etc.

Generally speaking I'm a linux user for work PC's which is far less troublesome negating the need for drivers and the update process is seamless. I very rarely use this tablet other than a bit of office activity and surfing so as such is a very clean system. If any conflict of software has arised it must have came from MS themselves, the system is nigh on out the box other than 3 or 4 bits of software I've installed mainly my HMRC software for processing wages, Libre Office, Gimp for image editing and Dropbox. Other than that everything else has came from MS so would shock me if there was a conflict.

Shouldn't really have to jump through hoops to get an update installed especially in these times of seemingly lot of dangerous malware doing the rounds.

I have updated 100's machines from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then the various updates to Windows 10 versions. All were successful in the end, but biggest issues I found were:

- Display driver issues causing display driver to crash/not start after update. Easy, uninstall driver before upgrade.
- USB device issues, especially extra screen drivers (USB to VGA). Some prevent the graphics starting properly after upgrade. Unplug USB devices before upgrade.
- Virus checker issues, especially from Windows 7. Uninstall before upgrade, re-install after. Virtually all Windows 10 updates were successful with virus checkers left on.

Don't know why I have so many issues. Toying with the idea of doing a wipe right now. I've spent days on this. Since posting earlier I have ran the procedure Zozo linked. After rebooting I got an error updating (sorry didn't copy it) but couldn't even connect to update server, said try again later. Couple of re-boots later I now see KB4025339 as a cumulative update and a couple of net framework. After restarting said failed to install then the updates disappeared again. Again rebooted and now the cumulative update is back and been stuck at 55% for over a hour. :banghead:

No issues here, are you already on the Creators Update? If not then upgrade to this manually:

It would appear not, I didn't even realise this existed, thought it would have just come through the updater. Strange thing was I was about to wipe it and it said it needed to free up 600mb of space to reset so knocked it off, got home and the updates installed (KB4025339) Now I find there's a new version which needs 8gig of space and I only have 5.5gig left God knows where I'm going to get that back from, that's with the free space tool already ran.

I think I should hang around MS forums more, definitely lost touch with this OS. Now then where do I start....

God knows where I'm going to get that back from, that's with the free space tool already ran.

Try downloading CCleaner this is a great tool to get rid of all temp files etc....
Also install 360 Total Security, has some great tools to make your system faster and also clear a lot of wasted files (run Full Check, Speed Up, Clean Up and under Tool Box run System Backup Cleaner)

Also un-install unused software to generate some space!

I already use CC mate, uninstalled everything whether I use it or not and ran disk cleanup which gave me the 8gig, ran the installer but it failed due to lack of disk space.
Looks like I need to find the installation files and delete them before trying again because it's took up a large chunk of space trying.
Looking on line you can use a USB stick but it didn't give me that option probably because the micro sd card I already have inserted is formatted to use as a drive.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

Managed to delete as much stuff as possible including the creator installation files and freed up 9gig of space. Ran the installation again and again it failed on not enough space. Spent all afternoon reinstalling all the software I had previously and putting back files I had dropped across onto the SD Card.

On the plus side I seem to have a fully updated system with a bit more space and have found a bit more about W10 than I knew before, in fact probably learnt more about it this last week than I have in the last ten years :D I'll have to do a bit more sniffing about in other forums but the Creator update doesn't bode well for anyone with tablets, maybe fine on laptops or desktops systems with plenty of space.

From what I understand MS themselves are not recommending the update until it offers it to you due to having issues which appear to be mainly drivers. Probably best left off my system until some things have been ironed out. Seems a bit crazy that MS are selling this OS as Phone/Tablet/Desktop compatible when most Phones/Tablets are clearly not going to have enough built in space to install it unless you clearly get your system down in size to the bare bones unless they come up with some way of taking advantage of extended memory.

I'll have a look down the route of the possibility of installing this by downloading it to a usb stick and see if I can boot into it at some point but I feel sure at some point it will need to copy the files over to the c drive so a certain amount of space is going to be required still. One website said 25gig would be required which isn't going to happen on a 32gig system. I just hope MS isn't going to ram this update down my neck at some point without offering a way of doing it or the ability to not do it at all.

That's Windows for you I guess, this last week has just gone to prove why I left their products alone for some years. :D Got to take some blame for thinking I could get away with a 32gig tablet but you would have expected if someone is going to create an OS that works on tablets that they would have took the disk space issues into consideration. The amount of posts I've read the last couple of days about people with these devices asking how they get an update on a tablet of that size with no real solution other than a total fresh install is unreal.

Thanks all for helping so far :thumbup:

We have been using PCMover from Laplink a couple of times at work. Tad expensive at £45 a go for Pro version, but the time saving and lack of a**sing around afterwards is a absolute no brainer cost/time wise.

Moves programmes & all user settings to a new PC.

We upgraded a 32GB storage tablet(s) by moving programmes and settings to an external USB disk, re-installing Windows 10, upgrading to Creators update and re-importing all the programs & settings back from USB disk. Worked fine. Need to re-enter odd passwords, but just worked, the moving took a while, but just left alone doing its stuff.

Also used to move my old workstation PC (non UEFI based on Sata SSD) to UEFI based Xeon PC on NVMe (nice 1TB NVMe and 64GB RAM and octal Xeon) . 800GB of data took about 3-4 hours via Gb network.

Hi Chaps
Don't know if this is related to a Windows 10 update?
Receiving the message [ No Bootable Device on Start up ]
Turn it off and on again starts up okay!
Been into the BIOS.....tried to change the Firmware to Legacy no joy!
This Acer is on Wifi settings!
Any suggestions....there is a Windows up date coming this afternoon, so I'm tad wary of installing it In case I can get into the OS.
Cheers
hoggie

We have been using PCMover from Laplink a couple of times at work. Tad expensive at £45 a go for Pro version, but the time saving and lack of a**sing around afterwards is a absolute no brainer cost/time wise.

Moves programmes & all user settings to a new PC.

We upgraded a 32GB storage tablet(s) by moving programmes and settings to an external USB disk, re-installing Windows 10, upgrading to Creators update and re-importing all the programs & settings back from USB disk. Worked fine. Need to re-enter odd passwords, but just worked, the moving took a while, but just left alone doing its stuff.

Also used to move my old workstation PC (non UEFI based on Sata SSD) to UEFI based Xeon PC on NVMe (nice 1TB NVMe and 64GB RAM and octal Xeon) . 800GB of data took about 3-4 hours via Gb network.
I only have one windows pc Ian. To be fair I don't mind starting fresh. Because of the limited space I tend to have everything in the cloud so other than downloading a couple of bits of software and entering a few passwords it's no big deal.

Reading up on it ms don't advise installing creators unless they offer it to you, I did come across a list of compatible pc's but I can't find that again now. Reading between the lines the answer appears to be that on installation it should offer to use a USB stick for tablets that are short of disk space but I didn't get that option. Formatted a stick last night to see if that popped up but although the pc saw the stick the updater didn't. Maybe because it was only a 3 gig stick and it needed minimum 8. Ordered a 32gig stick off amazon so I'll give that a try and see if the option to use that as space comes up. I'm guessing I can't use the micro sd already inserted because it will need drivers for it which won't be available on boot up whereas the USB stick will.

Just wondering, what do you windows guys generally do, clean install or upgrade? Heard a few stories of people who clean installed and lost their windows key. They had to update through the normal update process, register the key then do a clean install. Wondering if I should maybe factory reset the device which should free up more room then try the update?

My laptop was pre-installed so I guess the set up files are stashed somewhere on the drive and don't want to lose them in case I need to set the computer back to default at some point.

Sent from my STH100-2 using Tapatalk

[ No Bootable Device on Start up ]

What is the boot order in the bios? You can try to change that.. Put the HDD as first boot device.. Review your ACER models Function keys the F1 / F12, one of these will enter system diagnostic hardware scan.. It might reveal any hardware defects.. In case the HDD is faulty any repair likely willl be only temporary, than you know you're about to replace the HDD. Not saying its faulty, but it's a easy check to know what you're up to before trying numerous other options.

Updates always suck long term IMO better off with a clean install IMO, being an overclocker in the pass and OS always got currupt when overclocking and gaming so freash install every 9-12months. Clone HDD before you start then if all fails you can be back to a working PC faster. Used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool many times works well from USB

Updates always suck long term IMO better off with a clean install IMO, being an overclocker in the pass and OS always got currupt when overclocking and gaming so freash install every 9-12months. Clone HDD before you start then if all fails you can be back to a working PC faster. Used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool many times works well from USB

Yeah tried that creation tool. Just wouldn't find the USB stick I had inserted.

Hi Chaps
Don't know if this is related to a Windows 10 update?
Receiving the message [ No Bootable Device on Start up ]
Turn it off and on again starts up okay!
Been into the BIOS.....tried to change the Firmware to Legacy no joy!
This Acer is on Wifi settings!
Any suggestions....there is a Windows up date coming this afternoon, so I'm tad wary of installing it In case I can get into the OS.
Cheers

I find it handy to have a bootable copy of Linux for rescuing situations. Something like Linux Mint Mate make sure you pick the right version 32 or 64bit. Burn the iso to a USB stick and set your bios to boot from usb. Doesn't affect your system at all, just use as a live cd. You have a fully functioning operating system which is handy for getting files off your borked windows pc, scan your drives for problems and running virus scans to remove files if your pc won't start up. Once the cd is ejected your back to normal as if it never happened.

Also I have had problems before with no media detected when it was searching for old hardware IE floppy that was no longer connected. When you get in your bios look for settings like "scan for hardware changes" also once you set your hard drive as first boot device look to see if there is an option to not boot from any other devices. In my case it was looking for the floppy which wasn't there. Before doing all that maybe reset your bios to defaults.

Current state of play, bought a 32gig usb stick which can be either usb3 or micros usb in case I need to plug into the tablet instead of detachable keyboard. Tried running the update but although the usb stick is there in explorer I don't get the option to use it. Also tried windows media creation tool and again no option to use the usb stick. Starting to think unless the tablet has 8gig spare to start with it maybe isn't going to offer the option at all. I could wipe as much as possible to get 8gig and see if that option is available or plan B, clean install.
From what I can make out a clean install is going to take 25gig so on a 32gig tablet my concern is A. with the reserved disk space containing the files for re-installation to reset to out-of-box is this going to be enough. B. Am I going to lose my Windows activation key if not going through the normal update channel (can probably get the key before doing this using belarc advisor or similar) C. Will fresh install over write the reserved disk space or will it be locked as a separate partition and D. Is this actually going to be worth the hassle, from what I can see there's still a lot of people having problems with it, my computer doesn't appear to be in any compatible lists I have found so far and the extra features I probably won't use although the word on the street is that it is safer from hackers which is the main selling point for me.

Any comments appreciated.

I have a Windows 10 Lite Edition which would be the best option for you, I will try the install and see how much HDD space it takes. I will get back to you ;)

Back