• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Remember the Hotties?

Just goes to show that we humans can be the most caring and at the same time the most careless species on earth

Many times I sit and wish that there were not as many humans in the world
Plus when an epidemic breaks out I don't ever feel sorry for the people I just think nature is trying to slow down the infestation of humanity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't realise that hotties were a thing - incidentally our home backs onto the Lea Navigation Canal. I spend a lot of time in the garden and on a good day the water is very clear. There are some interesting fish in the canal. I can't be 100% sure but there was something that looked large, black and velvety that at first glance I pegged as a Black Koi. Mind blow. I'm sure there is a more mundane answer, but for now I am enjoying the thought that the canal is filled with fun ex-pets. Wondering what local historic industry might have changed the make up.

Didn't realise that hotties were a thing - incidentally our home backs onto the Lea Navigation Canal. I spend a lot of time in the garden and on a good day the water is very clear. There are some interesting fish in the canal. I can't be 100% sure but there was something that looked large, black and velvety that at first glance I pegged as a Black Koi. Mind blow. I'm sure there is a more mundane answer, but for now I am enjoying the thought that the canal is filled with fun ex-pets. Wondering what local historic industry might have changed the make up.

Not necessary a Koi but could well have been a carp.

The cormorants do catch carp reasonably frequently - this one did seem different but that's probably my imagination.

Very happy to see the local regeneration efforts cleaning up the canal, still lots of birds nesting in garbage sadly but things seem to be improving.

Just goes to show that we humans can be the most caring and at the same time the most careless species on earth

Many times I sit and wish that there were not as many humans in the world
Plus when an epidemic breaks out I don't ever feel sorry for the people I just think nature is trying to slow down the infestation of humanity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Us humans are the worst thing this planet has ever created. We are a cancer but the worst sort imaginable. All we do is rape the world. It's only going to get worse for the world and us with more cars and people being born everyday. I'm glad I'm alive in this time because in a hundred years of probably less its not going to be a nice place to be. It'll get to a point where a ban of having children is in place, did they do that in China? The Amazon as we know will be gone and all are favorite fish will all only survive by being captive bred. I wonder if in the future we will even be able to breath without all those jungles that are no longer. This is very off topic so my bad it's just deans post got me thinking.

Having read the article about the legality of selling certain plants in the UK does any of the NW members remember "The Hotties" at St Helens back in the 70's?

Adjacent to one of the Pilkington Glass manufacturing sites (Watson Street?) the cooling water was sprayed into the canal which raised the temperature of the canal to the low 70's F.
No one was ever sure how it started but the canal was full of tropical fish & at weekends you'd find many people pond dipping & many Guppy breeders would collect stock there to start new lines as the guppies had bred back to wild form.
Yes, remember being taken there once by my Dad. There were loads of people on the bank. As a child it was amazing to see all those tropical fish out in the wild in a canal.

Back