• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Freds new pond build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost my dog last week. Had to put him to sleep. Heres my new 9 week old staffy
ca3d22603a9e1b7effd0224c32a973a8.jpg

1dc60ce1979621edf72deea2259af50a.jpg

Fitted the new controller to control the heat in my quarentine
Grow on.
4ae2b16e0365b17a34053837f9d64828.jpg

Its a SCHEGO TITANIUM HEATER: ELITECH E-1000 TEMPERATURE CONTROLLEhave a good weekend folks. Hope your all well

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your dog Fred, I've lost two in my time and its heart breaking. Bet the new bundle of fun is keeping you busy.

Sorry to hear about your dog Fred, I've lost two in my time and its heart breaking. Bet the new bundle of fun is keeping you busy.
Your not wrong there mort. He is full of energy. Love it though. Thanks for that mate. Baily lived to 14 years old. It was for the best. Bit of cancer. And started to have lots of fits. So he had a good run. But what a dog. He gave a lot back to us too.
Fish are all ok and there loving this mild winter where having up to now. All the best mate fred

Put my big showa in the quarentine tank grow on. To do this i had to bring my tank down at 1 degree at a time to meet same temperature is a as the main pond. Took me a week. So transfared two blue orfs and a platinum orgon to main pond. And brought showa over to tank.
He has 2 wounds from when my pond was leeching.there is now alge growing in wound. Scraped him twice. So no parasites on him. So now taking the water back up to 18c. Then on monday. I will put him to sleep. Clean wounds up. And iodine these to get bacteria off. Put anti bacteria gear on. And apply sealent. To protect the wound
9b356abe689ccc1ca3cebb026548eb5b.jpg

He is 17 and ahalf years old. My first ever koi fish i bought.
All the best fred

Gill ian london dragon all the best. I will came updated on progress

This is what put him to sleep
070b6ebb5aba2bb0a1e1a48c87ca813e.jpg

Thats him starting to go under
411b56b8b7368fa4ba317aa79a074721.jpg

Thats him under and asleep
f936e1b0ad80c827e1a1a6a7fbe92d4a.jpg

Ready to go to work on him
c3211b50953d95115009f1aa138202b1.jpg

These are the chemicals and tools i used. He had one ulcer. And some fungus on his dorsil fin
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170305/680e617570b84b6a443ff271927a70b4.jpg[/IMG
[ATTACH=full]106387[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]106388[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]106389[/ATTACH]
Thats him happily swimming about in the tank
Take the heat upto 23c now better for healing. And put some malachite in tomorrow.

Attachments

• 7bd3d9c2fff1a12bf799b9c9ea5e7dd8.jpg
    7bd3d9c2fff1a12bf799b9c9ea5e7dd8.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 79
  • b4c747512f04a7ff4767a4ad449e5afc.jpg
    b4c747512f04a7ff4767a4ad449e5afc.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 2ddd4b0ca3ff5ce3f1dff2a334db5b95.jpg
    2ddd4b0ca3ff5ce3f1dff2a334db5b95.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 80
How big is the showa Fred? Do different strains top out at different sizes?
I think its all to do with water chemistry mate. I maybe wrong. But if you google ulcers. All the experts say water parameters.
On koi. You get carp pox on Israeli koi. But not supposed to on Japanese koi. He is Japanese. I have some Israel koi. And a couple have carp pox. Looks like a spot wart. Nothing you can do about it. Its also harmless they grow out of it. When tempretures get in the 20c mark it goes. The showa is fungus mate with a wound underneath. So needs treating

Very interesting Fred. Done a few minor ops on some fish over the years and can't say I ever enjoyed. Hope that guys heals quickly for you.
Cheers ian and mort. I hate doing it mort but thats my 4th one. The rest are better now. I lost one though. I did nt have the qt then so tempretures did nt help. On healing side. He will stay in the qt untill he heals. I noticed one of the wounds was healing its self. So all i did was dab that with anti bacteria and sealed it in.
The thing is mort you have to do it. Or he dies. So a 17 year old fish that is a fighter. You have to help him.

Zozo hope your well mate.
Hurry up and get that bath tub up and running

I think its all to do with water chemistry mate. I maybe wrong. But if you google ulcers. All the experts say water parameters.
On koi. You get carp pox on Israeli koi. But not supposed to on Japanese koi. He is Japanese. I have some Israel koi. And a couple have carp pox. Looks like a spot wart. Nothing you can do about it. Its also harmless they grow out of it. When tempretures get in the 20c mark it goes. The showa is fungus mate with a wound underneath. So needs treating

Sorry Fred I meant do different strains of koi reach different sizes, like your showa I think you said was 2.5ft and I'm guessing at that age it won't grow much more if at all but would a sanke or ogon for instance attain a greater length? Wasn't sure if it was just colour they were bred for or other characters tristis as well. I think the largest koi I have seen have all been ogon but it might be because they are the only ones I could I'd confidently.

I've seen koi pox on my mum's ghost koi when I was little, remember it looking a bit like someone had put silicon on them. Believed it was due to cold in the shallow depth of the pond so dug it to 5 ft and it never returned.

My surgery is more limited to tropical marine species. Had to needle quite a few fish which had decompression and buoyancy problems and also a few who's eyes swelled up due to trapped gas. One was on a 16 inch volitans lionfish which was less than fun but it's still going today.

You can actualy buy jumbo koi of all types. So i reckon its in the genes mort. My largest whichbwas 3vfeet was a ghost koi the chrome looking type. My largest now is a ghost koi. That showa and a chagoi. I have another showa around same size as this showa.
Sying that when i had this pond built because of volume and depth. The all started growing rapidly. So who knows. Might get some more in size to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back