• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crystal Mountain

Just done the weekly maintenance on the tank !!! Done some water testing before the 1/3 waterchange !!! Let's see how it will handle the very lean dosage from now on !!!

NO3 - 1>5ppm
PO4 - 0,4ppm
FE - 0,1ppm

Here's the tank just after filling , the Rasboras are a wonderful schooling fish
biggrin.png
upload_2017-1-22_12-11-32.gif

32078902790_79c04e9c5c_k.jpg
_MG_3186 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow great close up photos, I kind of like the non strobe lit photo posted before the test final shot, has a bit more depth with light drop off towards the back, but I guess everything is nice and sharp and lit well in the strobe lit photo. Great work this tank is stunning!

that carpet is insane looks stunning - great tank :clap:

Thank you MarkyP :)

I'm not convinced about the colour of the top wood, maybe too 'burned'...
still some work with the lights and plants! (almost there)
Her some details...

cheers!

Thank you for the Macros Tiago,

Yes there is still good margin for improvement on both cases, but very pleased with the first try !!!

Wow great close up photos, I kind of like the non strobe lit photo posted before the test final shot, has a bit more depth with light drop off towards the back, but I guess everything is nice and sharp and lit well in the strobe lit photo. Great work this tank is stunning!

Thank you doylecolmdoyle,

The advantage of the strobe light's is exactly that, good uniformity from the light source, and actual real good natural colors at 6000K whitebalance, not saturated in after processing or by colorfull bulbs, what you have is what you get :)

Olá Nuno,
I think that the left side looks like there is a mirror inside the tank... a bit strange. maybe because the carpet there is kind of bending down. Maybe less trimming on that edge would make a smoother continuity with the reflexion on the left wall...

That wood is awesome! Great looking scape.
I'm also curious how you guy's manage to take such clean pictures.

Thank you Kamiel,

As for the pictures, it's a matter of practice, use a tripod for FTS is really important also !!! This last one was taken with the healp of 2 studio strobe lights, one above the tank and other projected on the back wall !!!

Olá Nuno,
I think that the left side looks like there is a mirror inside the tank... a bit strange. maybe because the carpet there is kind of bending down. Maybe less trimming on that edge would make a smoother continuity with the reflexion on the left wall...

I know what you meam Bolota, but with carpeting plants, is impossible to disguise, even if I would let it grow more the thickness of the glass will create a line all along the side glass, so for that reason I opted to trim it down and give a bushier look !!! It's also good for maintenance as the scrapper can go all the way to the substrate level !!!

Hi Nuno, can you share any tips on how you got you H. Pinnafida nice and bushy and compact, how did you trim the Pinna?

Your tank is looking amazing as always!

Hi Nuno, can you share any tips on how you got you H. Pinnafida nice and bushy and compact, how did you trim the Pinna?

Your tank is looking amazing as always!

I only trimm the bigger leafs, and when it's going were I don't want it to go !!!

Sad news this tank has been teared dawn !!!

Here's the final video a day before tearing it apart !!! Final photo will be published after this year contests !!!

One of the best aquariums and definately one of the best journals I have seen. Full of information, tips and amazing and stunning photos. I am planning an almost identical spec aquarium myself with some small variations mainly in filtration. Other than that will be same equipment. What I really enjoyed was all the infos about the chihiros lights, cause I was quite sceptical about their penetrating power but all this info about the PAR convinced me go for them.

Sad news indeed, agreed this is one of the best journals I have read, love reading your updates and looking at your quality photos and videos. Thanks for all the tips, looking forward to seeing what you create next!

Fantastic scape and a truly great journal. All your journals are great and I am learning a lot from reading them.
I am starting to plan a 120x50x50 and are of course looking for what you have done. And you have done differently at different times. Do you mind a few questions?

At one scape you used two filters with two sets of in-/out-flow. Another time I think you used two filters, but with only one in-/out-flow. And in this scape you used only one (large) filter.
Do you have a final recommendation? With my limited experience, I have found it difficult to get good flow in all parts of the tank with only one in-/out-flow without adding an extra flow pump like many do – but you do not use that?

At this last scape you used the Chihiros fixtures. They sure look good at you can obviously grow plants with them. Do you think they are as good as the previous fixtures you have used? More importantly, how do they look to your eye? – do the plants and colors look great? Obviously that will be subjective, but it is also obvious that you have great taste :) My concern is that they are 8000K – quite cold.

You have tried different dosing regimes at different times.
Do you have a conclusion on your DIY ADA dosing experiment? In you Crystal River journal you are in 2014 very enthusiastic about Aquarebell Makro Spezial N and KramerDrak, but it seems your are now mostly doing more common EI?

Back