• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

I bought one of these just about a month ago. I have a 300l tank with Malawi cichlids.
The first thing I did was put some decent media and sponges in it.
Ease of use and installation.......easy.
Noise.........................................really good, very low level.
BUT.
If I'm honest I don't feel it's up to the job, or should I say it's not as quick as I'd like.
It will clear, it just seems to take too long to do so.
Considering I had a cheap 2000LPH on the tank and opted for this one. It does not seems to work as well.
I feel part of the problem is the smaller bore pipes and the inlet grill being very small.

We've used a few of these for clients at work and they work pretty well to be fair. The only issue we've seen is the sponge on the prefilter being to fine. It was getting clogged a bit too soon and needs cleaning every few weeks. Apart from that, easy to dismantle and clean and the flow seems good as well.

Agree 100%. It was sold to me under the premise of...."If you haven't got time to do a full clean. Just whip the small filter out " Fact is, once the small filter need cleaning the thing virtually stops working. I've wondered what would happen if these fine sponges were taken out to let the main ones actually work.

Hi all,
Fact is, once the small filter need cleaning the thing virtually stops working. I've wondered what would happen if these fine sponges were taken out to let the main ones actually work.
The prefilter sponges seem to come in either 45ppi (blue) or 60ppi (black), which is ridiculous.

Can you replace them with an equivalent sized 20ppi sponge? They are 50mm x 50mm, but you might have to DIY one from a sponge sheet.

cheers Darrel

Just been on the phone to "Jordan" at Oase. He had an interesting idea. Leave one of the sponges out ! Therefore allowing some filtration to go on but also allowing the main sponges to do their job. Will give it a go next time I need to clean (which won't be long) and see how it goes.

Hi,

I came across this post whilst searching online, I recently have bought one of the Biomaster Thermo filters from https://www.water-garden.co.uk. The filter itself is an impressive piece of kit and at a very fair price. I have Red Sea Max 130D converted to tropical. I have placed a very heavy stock in the tank therefore requiring an oversized filter. The filter and heater combo is very efficient at raising and maintaining the water temperature in comparison to the traditional methods. The pre-filter chamber is another great feature as it prevents the main filter foams becoming clogged and in 6 months i still have not needed to clean them, the pre-filter has been cleaned once but that should be expected.

As for the biology in my tank; i perform water tests every two days and graph them to be able to see spikes and falls in levels. Even as a new tank i have not had one measurement which is above safe limits and the graph is near enough a flat line consistently.

Operating noise etc:
My filter is enclosed within the tank cupboard but even with the door open operating noise is very minimal (ive had internal filters (fluval) which are atleast 4x louder). The box contains everything you need to install and operate including two variable flow controls for inlet and outlet and spray bar!

All in all - a GREAT FILTER at a GREAT PRICE!
http://www.water-garden.co.uk/cat/indoor-aquatics/aquarium-filters

20170117_202018.jpg
20170117_202028.jpg
Found these yesterday glad these where mentioned

filter up and finally going so easy to set up no issues so far no leaks (touch wood) first thing this is such a quiet filter i have had 2 ehiems before and this is so much quieter imo in regards to media i have gone down the green aqua root replacing the hex for seachem matrix in x2 trays and ehiem mech in x1 tray the rest is various grade for sponge which i will lose after a couple of months and replace with more biological i have started with the 45ppi pre filter and after 3/4 weeks will change to the 30ppi . Initial start up flow seems good but time will tell follow my journal (you know nothing (gareth rogers) ada 60 (45) to see how it gets on :thumbup:

My experience on this filter is very disappointing. I'm currently in discussion with OASE given the issue. I also have it connected to the Cleartonic UV. The main issue is that the filter (in my opinion) is not pulling the litres that it's supposed to. The 250 should pull circa 900lph but in my opinion it's probably nearer 600lph and is no where near good enough for my 140l tank. Not a patch on the FLUVAL and when the OASE goes back to OASE Germany for investigation I will re-install the Fluval 306.

Attachments

• IMG_7248.JPG
    IMG_7248.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 658
My experience on this filter is very disappointing. I'm currently in discussion with OASE given the issue. I also have it connected to the Cleartonic UV. The main issue is that the filter (in my opinion) is not pulling the litres that it's supposed to. The 250 should pull circa 900lph but in my opinion it's probably nearer 600lph and is no where near good enough for my 140l tank. Not a patch on the FLUVAL and when the OASE goes back to OASE Germany for investigation I will re-install the Fluval 306.
Hiya dave
I am using the biomaster 600 on a smaller tank at 120 litres which works beyond well so far it gives me a 10x turnover if you are suffering lack of flow ! The filter seems small for what you may be trying to achieve.
Also what media sponges etc are you using as i changed what came with the filter (watch the green aqua reveiw) in reguards to media also the prefilter sponge in my opinion needs to be changed to the 30ppi variety

Hiya dave
I am using the biomaster 600 on a smaller tank at 120 litres which works beyond well so far it gives me a 10x turnover if you are suffering lack of flow ! The filter seems small for what you may be trying to achieve.
Also what media sponges etc are you using as i changed what came with the filter (watch the green aqua reveiw) in reguards to media also the prefilter sponge in my opinion needs to be changed to the 30ppi variety

I also have to agree, from the photo it seems your running a marine tank and the 250 turnover rate is way too low for marine. I am running a 350 on a 130l red sea max but still have an OASE optimax 500 to boost flow. Would recommend an upgrade to the 600 or add another 250 to the setup. When they state a max flow rate and head for the pump you need to consider the higher the pump needs to push water, the flow it delivers will decrease and that's not even considering hose friction loss. Being a small pump ,the flow will rapidly decline over height.
Hope some of this helps

I have been using the Biomaster 250 on a 60p and i think these filters are great, I've also noticed alot of LFS are using them now and there being sold everywhere. Having the heater out of the tank and included in the filter is a great solution especially at the price point. Why have you guys changed the pre filter to 30ppi?

Hi Dan, the 30ppi are coarser so in tanks with high waste loads, e.g. Malawi cichlid tanks the prefilter doesnt need cleaning quite so regularly. Hope this helps

The 30 PPI are less course so in a planted tank you don't want your pre filter clogging up too soon and restricting flow

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Can those that are using these confirm that they seal and run OK with regular 16/22 tubing? I am considering one of these in addition to a Fluval FX6 to run together on a 6ft tank I'm thinking about setting up.

Hi, they come supplied already with 17mm tubing, spray bar and flow controls. I can say the unit seals & fittings are great (not a drip from them) im really impressed with mine and it runs dead silent!

How about replacement tubing or other connectors,T pieces etc or extensions for 17mm? Their web site isn't that great, only tubing accessories I found was in the pond section, none of which is 17mm.

Back