• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Round indoor pond project queries.

If you look in the hardware store for chain links.. There number of diferent designs and sizes
45202.jpg

Can't find a pic of those shaped like an 8 which are open and should be closed with a pair of pliers..

But the cheapest option i've always used myself in the garden for things like that is Victor Chain..
VICTOR-GALVANIZADA-1.jpg

With a pair of nippers you can make your own little hooks to hang things to it.. :) like this
DSCF7834.jpg

The ones i have are smallones, made from hard plastic with holes at the bottom only. They are not going to work.

The big kidney shaped ones I bought from ebay are not even worth the try. They are too fragile. One split while i was washing the clay pebbles in it. I dont think they can hold much weight, surely not soil.

But I saw good ones in Woodies that come with a plastic hanger. I just need to drill holes in them for the water flow.

I came back home and noticed the clowns have done some re-arrangements....Apparently what I did last night wasn't good enough. :rolleyes:

They've got some hiding caves, e.g. tubes made from an old siphon and they've carried them around the place. Yesterday when I was watching them explore, if one went into the tube, the rest followed one by one pushing the one in front out. Some of the clowns don't really fit properly in them anymore so they must have dragged them on their backs :p Two of my anubias were also moved half a meter away...:lol:

I'll take some pics or a video later. It's looking rough plant wise right now. I still have the BBA on the anubias as it got destroyed in the previous tank. I'll see how it fares.. Also, when I set up the previous plastic tub I planted a couple of crypts in pots. I noticed last night when I moved them that they've grown quite a few new leaves. I think I'll plant all underwater plants in pots. It's pretty handy and I can move them around.. I want to concentrate on emersed plants. It will look way better in this tank.

Oh, and this time the clowns must have eaten all the shrimp I had moved with them in the previous plastic tub. I found none at all. Then again I fed the clowns twice max three times a week....I can't blame them.

Also, floating plants. I must get some from somewhere...I haven't had any for a while now.

Last edited:
So these are my small plant pots that attach via suction cups. They are quite good on glass but not on plastic. The mesh basket is the ebay kidney basket. I've done a pretty bad temporary diy job just to hold the plants somehow. But if I fill that basket with substrate it will fall apart.

20161006_184855_zps5y7jz6mt.jpg

The ones I want to check out in Woodies are these: http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/green-basics-easy-hanger-large/36290/4.8.2

And some nice BBA covered anubias, lol
20161006_184931_zpsnjsmdykb.jpg

20161006_184823_zpsc2kccmax.jpg

20161006_184808_zpscexxvkc3.jpg

Looking realy nice... Also very much fun for you to see your fish from an other perspective, from above i mean.. :)

I know all about it from my bathtub in the garden.. It is realy relaxing sitting back from it watching what they are all up to.. With any fish they behave indeed totaly different in a pond setup than in a glass tank.. This year i builded a 3 story cave structure for them with flat stones stackep upon eachother.. Was fun to see them spiral around and through the holes chasing eachother and use the different floors to hide..

I got a same kind of setup as yours in the garden with that cut in half winebarel (Mission bathtub journal).. Also have that kidny shaped basket planted and use small pump with a sponge prefilter and a hose to the basket.. Perfect planted biofilter, plants grow like crazy.. Depending on the plants used it will grow a large wig off (hair) roots throught the basket hanging down, which is also a very nice place for them to hide and probably feed on it as well.. I did put cyprus grass in it and a few others.. I'll take it out soon to see myself how big it grew and make a pic of it. :)

I know all about it from my bathtub in the garden.. It is realy relaxing sitting back from it watching what they are all up to.. With any fish they behave indeed totaly different in a pond setup than in a glass tank..

I wasn't worried about not seeing the fish. I just wanted them to be happy. But now I can see them even better than before :) And the thing with the chair, the coffee and fish not being bothered by me being there and staring at them :) is just great. This is not normally a problem with majority of fish but clown loaches are shy. The times when they think they are not observed are the best. Most of my previous videos are on zoom and from a distance...

Last night I was poking around to fix the anubias plants they had moved and they were swimming around my hands. I think just because of the extra space they feel more confident. If I ever have to catch them again, which I did 5 times during this last year, I am going to have to get inside this tank. There's no catching other wise...no corners to be cornered into :) And I think they know it already....

Last edited:
It's interesting to see the new behaviour. I have a group of 8 that are 20 years + and they behave the same way you described earlier, ie only using a small portion of the tank.
Keep us updated to see if they go back to the way they were when the fun of exploring lessens or if they stay the same. You might even get them to become more bold with some dither fish.

It's interesting to see the new behaviour. I have a group of 8 that are 20 years +

Picture or a video please :) I'd love to see adult loaches like that.

Keep us updated to see if they go back to the way they were when the fun of exploring lessens or if they stay the same. You might even get them to become more bold with some dither fish.

Yes, the excitement can wear of in time. I was watching them until late hours last night. They were all over the place....
I am going to add some dither fish at some stage, but totally not sure what I want and it won't happen any time soon.

I got the clowns a large pvc pipe today to add to their hiding places.
And I got the baskets from Woodie's. They had only 2 black ones so I got 3 grey ones as well which is a bit disappointing. Now I need to do a bit of drilling and pot a few plants.

I am going to try a paprika tree I have. I grew some seedlings recently and that plant loves water. It may not work out but I'll give it a try :)

I put the plants in the new baskets. It didn't really work out that well because the hangers don't keep the pots straight and the clay pebbles are literally floating. Which means the roots have nothing to hold on to. But it sort of works for now. Those three plants don't need any substrate anyway. I've to see if I can straighten them out somehow though.

I also got a fern to try out. I've no idea what it's called. It's the one under the palm tree on the picture below.

The loaches couldn't wait for me to finish messing up with the tank. I know I am repeating myself, but its so nice seeing them so lively and swimming in an out of things.

20161008_213003_zpsiyogtumj.jpg

I figured out a way how to place the baskets upright by using the stuff that came for my arcadia stretch lights. It worked quite well to straighten the basket so it can hold soil without it floating to the top and making a mess. I think the peace lilies don't care about the abundance of water and floating substrate but for terrestrials like the paprika I don't want to try without some solid substrate.

So here are my newly planted peppers/paprika...:eek::D

It's a bit intrusive to the eye but who is going to see :rolleyes:

20161009_152730_zps62k4byrx.jpg

20161009_152738_zpsxy69pymq.jpg

Back