• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forests Underwater by Takashi Amano at Lisbon Oceanarium

I'm thinking wow cubed! That is some testament as to how well ADA understand the needs of aquatic plants.

Still Reassuring to see that at least one or two leaves aren't perfect...

Any more technical details to be had, such as how co2 is added, ferts, maintenance regime, etc. ?

I'm thinking wow cubed! That is some testament as to how well ADA understand the needs of aquatic plants.
Still Reassuring to see that at least one or two leaves aren't perfect...
Any more technical details to be had, such as how co2 is added, ferts, maintenance regime, etc. ?

I might know a thing or two about ferts, etc, but nothing very special or "official".
Maintenance is daily and for about 6 hours (or something like that). Every day they clean glasses, sand and cut some plants. They obviously dive inside :)
Easy stuff :D

Pedro.

:( shame on you, 8 months to share with us...
Enviado do meu B1-750 através de Tapatalk

Yes... it's a shame but better now then never :)

They must have one hell of a fire extinguisher.. Bazir is the only word i can find.. Unfortunately i will never see it for real.. :) Tanks for sharing..

How do they manage the co2 injection?

Jurijs explaines in the podcast, they use 5 feet large industrial bottles.. They use venturi effect to dissolve the Co2 (Like a gassoline carburator). In the venturi the water pressure builds up in this venturi the co2 is injected, behind the venture the pressure drops and in this pressure drop the expanding water makes the co2 gets sucked in and very effectively disolved. :) The rest is computerized, so i guess they use Ph controler to get to the correct level..

Kinda works the same as those powerheads using a venturi to suck in air and create a stream of misty water with tiny air bubbles.. I guess

Last edited:
Jurijs explaines in the podcast, they use 5 feet large industrial bottles.. They use venturi effect to dissolve the Co2 (Like a gassoline carburator). In the venturi the water pressure builds up in this venturi the co2 is injected, behind the venture the pressure drops and in this pressure drop the expanding water makes the co2 gets sucked in and very effectively disolved. :) The rest is computerized, so i guess they use Ph controler to get to the correct level..

Kinda works the same as those powerheads using a venturi to suck in air and create a stream of misty water with tiny air bubbles.. I guess

Something like this I suspect http://www.centec-systems.co.uk/carbonation_gas_injection.html, a bit much for home use....

Hi everyone,

Last Thursday the 14th July there was a meet up with a few aquascapers from around Europe at the Lisbon Oceanarium, I was lucky enough to be in Lisbon on that day and attended the event, it was a great way to meet some of the people I have chatted online for sometime, Filipe Oliveira in particular that goes back almost a decade and we had never met, Filipe also managed to organize a backstage tour for us on the day and it was a stunning experience.

Here a video of the backstage tour, we also visited the machine room, will post some photos later of that:

Videos by Filipe Oliveira, did make some myself but his are better quality ;)

You can find lots of photos and videos on the following event link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1147052558696086/

Enjoy :)

Some photos taken of the equipment room, as you walk in you see this going down to machine room:

DSC02503.jpg

Down the stairs you see one of the filtration sumps, this one for one of the smaller sides of the aquarium.

DSC02258.jpg

The full sump, this is one of 5 sumps that filter and provide flow for the aquarium.

DSC02261.jpg

The huge motors pumping the water back into the aquarium, there is one per sump, not sure on how many lph each runs at, but each sump has something that measures the water depth which in turn regulates the water flow of each motor.

DSC02269.jpg
DSC02272.jpg

Some more photos of the sumps, they contain sponge, carbon and filtration media.

DSC02287.jpg

Long corridor of sumps behind the largest face of the tank.

DSC02292.jpg

Background light.

DSC02282.jpg

There are two sets of CO2 venturi, one with 3 valves and one with 2, they feed the return pipe of each sump and have CO2 bottles stored somewhere else.

DSC02309.jpg

There are also various UV filters in the tank.

Lighting above the tank see photos below, not sure on wattage of each unit, and they were not all turned on.

DSC02413.jpg
DSC02478.jpg
DSC02482.jpg

Did not find out if the lights have a sequence or how long they are on daily, but the tank is on display to the public from 10am-8pm therefore for those hours at least they need to be on.

There is also daily maintenance performed, cleaning of the glass and pruning. Would be nice to find out about water changes, but did not get that information either, its a little overwhelming when you are there and you forget to ask questions.

Hope you enjoyed the photos, it was an amazing experience which I enjoyed every minute off.

Cheers :)

Wow those Venturi units are something!

That UV unit at first looked like RO unit. So many pipes. I guess they use those thin pipes to feed UV with small and slow flow of water?

Back