• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do plants intake nutrients all the time?

Jaap

Hi

Do plants intake macros and micros when not photosynthesyzing?

Thanks

Plants dont take anything in when not photosynthesizing. Photosynthesis means Energy from light. Without light, no inward energy transfer can take place. At least, that's what I remember from school. :) (granted, that was a while ago haha)

Plants dont take anything in when not photosynthesizing. Photosynthesis means Energy from light. Without light, no inward energy transfer can take place. At least, that's what I remember from school. :) (granted, that was a while ago haha)
Plants do uptake nutrients 24 hours a day. Not an expert on that issue but this is what experts say... If I am not wrong this topic has been already discussed in another Ukaps thread which I am not able to find.

It seems that a much more relevant uptake happens during the light period, which make a lot of sense as the plants are photosynthesizing, but plants do not stop working by night from the physiological point of view. Additionally, from the evolutionary point of view, nutrients uptake at low light levels should be ensured (dark waters, low parts of the plant, dense growing).

Just an example: http://ir.ihb.ac.cn/bitstream/34200...ersed macrophyte Myriophyllum spicatum L..pdf

If this question has been asked regarding dosing times (I think it was asked in the above mentioned thread for this reason: effectiveness of dosing at night or during the day), most of the dosing methods ensure enough nutrient levels on the short term, therefore guarantee that independently of the intake rate/moment, nutrients will be available in the water column.

Jordi

Jordi

Hi guys, sorry to revive this thread.
Since I am so new to this, I still have plenty of info to stumble so this may be a stupid question, but this thread is exactly what I'm looking to answer.
If this is not the right thread, I'll be glad to create a new one.

Would plants be able to use Fe/Traces at night, or are there special limitations on the nutrients used during the 'night' time with no lights.
Also, would anyone imagine this would alter the growth pattern of the plant or could one expect normal growth from a plant.

Hi all,
Would plants be able to use Fe/Traces at night, or are there special limitations on the nutrients used during the 'night' time with no lights. Also, would anyone imagine this would alter the growth pattern of the plant or could one expect normal growth from a plant.
You can feed when you like, nutrient uptake occurs all the time. Chelated iron (FeEDTA) is an exception to this, not because of the plant, but because the Fe+++ ions are only released when the stable EDTA is degraded by light. It doesn't make any practical difference if you add it at night, or during the day, it will just remain as the chelate until "lights on".

cheers Darrel

the Fe+++ ions are only released when the stable EDTA is degraded by light
As far as I know, the degradation of chelates is caused not only by light, but by temperature, pH, and probably by microbes also. So the chelates will degrade even at night to some degree.

You can make a simple test to verify this: Put a lot of Fe-gluconate or Fe-EDHA into your tank (~1 ppm) just after you turn the lights off. Then check your tank the next day before you turn the lights on. I guess you'll see a lot of precipitate in your tank.
PS: Don't use Fe-DTPA in this test, as DTPA chelate is quite strong so you won't see any precipitates in this case.

Hi all,
As far as I know, the degradation of chelates is caused not only by light, but by temperature, pH, and probably by microbes also. So the chelates will degrade even at night to some degree..
I didn't know that, I know FeEDTA is less stable at low pH, but I didn't know that temperature also had an effect.

Do you know the relative rates of release for the different processes?

cheers Darrel

Back