• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Recommendation

Aiden123

Hi everyone, I am setting up a high tech planted tank and I would like some lighting recommendation because I'm not sure which to go for.

The tank is 24"L x 12"W x 13"H
I will be using pressurised Co2
I will be dosing ferts and using a nutrient rich substrate

I would like to have a nice carpet of HC, with a variety of quite demanding plants.

My budget for lighting is up to £200 (may be able to go higher for the right light) and the light would need to mount to the side of the tank without modification (tank is open top)

I have been looking at 2 x 24watt T5 but I do prefer the look of LED but I can't quite find any appropriate LED lighting.

Thanks in advance

That is quite an interesting video!

So I'm now looking at the Arcadia Classica OTL-LED Light Unit Freshwater 60cm unit, the PAR readings are quite good, but the review I see aren't very favourable. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

Last edited:
Looks a good bit of kit. The PFK review looked ok. What reviews are you referring to? I didn't notice this one when I was looking for my LED set up so got the TMC aqua grow 600 with dimmer control unit came to a similar price. Both seem to have similar features but the Arcadia looks to have better PAR values at the base almost double in fact. Id still want to see a spectral graph showing the blue green red percentages but its most likely going to be heavy blue as most LED are. You will need to use the controller as with those par values it will be way too much light. you will need to dim it down a lot to start with. I had an arcadia triple 250w MH for a reef tank and it produce some excellent growth. They make good quality units.

The reviews for the light itself are great, but for the controller on the unit, they are quite poor. Take the PFK review for example, they say its clunky and very difficult to use. Just doing a quick google search shows that quite a few people just modify and rig up their own controller for the unit which I don't think I could do.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has one those ada style aquasky lights, just like the 602, only it has a few more leds. he's having great success growing a hc carpet in a 60x40x40. about US$200 from memory.

For an open top tank that 602 looks great for sure!

A friend of mine has one those ada style aquasky lights, just like the 602, only it has a few more leds. he's having great success growing a hc carpet in a 60x40x40. about US$200 from memory.
Too expensive IMO to be just a copy and purchased thousands kilometers away from home thus very complex situation if something is wrong.
I think your best bet is a TMC Aquabar 600, maybe two if you can suspend them or add a dimmer. It fits best with your budget and you can even try to buy a second hand one. During the last months here in UKAPS several units and controllers have been sold

Jordi

I have had a look at those TMC aquabar 600, so many different accessories and I'm not quite sure what extras I'd need to get to mount the lights off the tank glass?

Yes I was lucky. I have a big spacious hood and glass drip trays for them to sit on.

On an open top tank setup I don't think that the TMC look that good. I'd definitely go with the 602 and to bad about the expense ;)

If I had the money, I would go with the aquasky. But I don't :( so I'm leaning towards the Arcadia OTL since I don't have to mess about with buying extras to get it to mount on the tank + controller

I have decided to go with 2 x 24 watt T5 60cm from aquarium garden. Seem like good quality for a good price :)

I have decided to go with 2 x 24 watt T5 60cm from aquarium garden. Seem like good quality for a good price :)
That's what I have over my tank. It was that cheap that I could pay electricity bills for years and still keep under the LED fixture prices. In my case from 55 euros (T5 2x24w with tubes and DIY suspension kit) to 160 euros (LED with controller). Yes, definitely LEDs look nicer but it will take you a decade to save 110 euros in electricity.
As mentioned, if you have the money and you like it then go for it, but take into account that the secret to your success won't be this one.

Jordi

Ahhh but don't forget you should really change those tubes every 6 months as the light emissions drop drastically In some of the important output ranges... I also use fluorescent tubes for growing land plants such as basil and corriander in an aero garden and the lights need to be changed every 6 months or growth does get less and the plants start to have issues. They work perfectly mind. I get great lush growth.

Back