• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

I used piano hinge for my door and cut 1 side 4mm shorter to allow for the hinge.
ajevure8.jpg

It would open further but the tellys in the way
Its all in the preparation rob you can just see the line at the front of the stand where the top sits on the side in the first pic
ary2udeg.jpg
ze2eje4a.jpg

But the side thats not seen where i was lazy is clearly visible where the end of the mdf swelled between coats of paint

Andys 60l cube | UK Aquatic Plant Society
Andys HC propagator step by step | UK Aquatic Plant Society
Juwel 180 first planted tank | UK Aquatic Plant Society
Rio 125 wood and moss | UK Aquatic Plant Society

A few pics of my build. I too was concerned about strength, but now I think I'll be able to park the TT on top.

8a2yzy3u.jpg

6ujytaba.jpg

ahemu7ez.jpg

ute5y4a2.jpg

pesasuha.jpg

9y6u6e3a.jpg

7ememe9y.jpg

5a7epa9u.jpg

Next job Is to fit drawer faces, fit everything together and Veener the whole cabinet.

Just thought it would help someone.
Back sheet of ply is in a routered groove.

Any questions, please ask.
:)

Very nice! I wish i had access to all the machinery. Perhaps I should put my work to good use and make a mirror finish stainless stand next time. Your inserts for the cutouts would have taken 2 mins at my work but you've a better job of those than some metal workers could have!

Thanks mate.
I would love a stainless box section stand! Much better than crappy timber :)

Thanks mate.
I would love a stainless box section stand! Much better than crappy timber :)
I think the same about stainless i see it all day at work i don't really want to see it at home too.
Work will come in handy for the diy stainless light bracket suspension shade thingymabob

What u think of the current stand how tank protrudes over the edge ? Also any pics yet James

Thanks Dean

Sorry Dean, I've been a bit busy. It's a crappy photo but you get the idea.....

k4zt.jpg

I wouldn't want to advise you one way or the other about your current stand, it could be ok but you won't find out until your glass cracks or silicone fails. As I said before though you can get a piece of wood or mdf or something cut to the right size to put between your tank and cabinet,

Sorry Dean, I've been a bit busy. It's a crappy photo but you get the idea.....

k4zt.jpg

I wouldn't want to advise you one way or the other about your current stand, it could be ok but you won't find out until your glass cracks or silicone fails. As I said before though you can get a piece of wood or mdf or something cut to the right size to put between your tank and cabinet,

cheers James do the magnets hold them doors on no problem ? and how many magnets ? 4 per door ? might use your exact measurements and get mdf cut this next Monday or Sunday

Thanks dean

Only 2 magnets Dean, one on each door at the top and a small block of wood at the bottom to stop the doors sliding into the cabinet when I put them on. 4 would probably be better but 2 are fine for me.

Only 2 magnets Dean, one on each door at the top and a small block of wood at the bottom to stop the doors sliding into the cabinet when I put them on. 4 would probably be better but 2 are fine for me.

cheers james when you get chance take a quick pic of block at bottom so can see what looks like ? going to crack on with mine this weekend

Dean

The doors aren't hung, as he doesn't have the right tools to do them but is gonna sort me out someone who can. But apart from that, just filling, sanding and painting and someway of levelling it. The groove in the front horizontal piece will have a length of stainless rod glued in, just for aesthetics :)

Was going to get the missus to help me assemble but we both concur it would have taken us a weekend and still not be square lol. Brother just put it together without thinking :)

very nice rob think I might hang doors although the idea James had of just being able to remove is good aswel any chance of a pic of the bottom of your cabinet James so can see wood doors sit on ?

Cheers dean

actually just noticed on james the top brace is behind doors and I quite like it infront, going to have to sit tomorrow and work out measurements for a 60cmx30cm tank with top brace infront of doors, there is a joiner in my street will ask to use router for the blum hinges

thanks nat they look great

And that's when you have to start making couple of mil here and there allowances for doors Deano lol, easy for the likes of Nath (and my bro) but harder for your average Joe (like me lol)

Sorry Dean, I haven't been on over the weekend so I haven't got a pic of the bottom of my cabinet, I'll get one tonight for you. I didn't want that top brace showing because the screws would be visible like on Rob's, I also thought my method would look a bit more minimal (obviously the screw holes will be filled and invisible but I though my way was easier!). If would prefer to have the brace showing like Robs I can alter my drawings for you no problem if you need them.

Cheers

Yeh I don't mind helping with measurements if you're struggling Dean. I got that bit right at least :) lol. If it's for a 60 i'd go with one door, less work... ;)

Back