• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project Co2 reactor build for Fluval FX5

Have most of the parts already. Last thing to sort out is how to get the CO2 inside. Don't like the idea of just pulling the aquarium tubing through a smaller hole.
You don't have a pic of how you got the CO2 line inside. Got some of these on the way Stainless Steel Fish Tank Air Flow Control Lever Pump Valve 3pcs | eBay
Was thinking of tapping this into the side to deliver the CO2 inside.

Where's sam's irrigation shop. Got bigger holders (63mm) but looking for 50mm holders.

IMG_3035_zpsf0e87b9d.jpg

OK but bare in mind that is not a suitable glue!
PVC glue is a solvent that melts the pvc surfaces' together, unfortunately is does not melt acrylic so the bond will not be secure!
This is the biggest issue with building DIY reactors & why most people stick to PVC components though out the build.
However there are ways around this... one is to use a polyurethane glue or an epoxy glue or even a silicone seal but in all cases you need the addition of a mechanical fixing.
This is best done with a at least two stainless steel self tapping screws through the joints, make sure you use a suitable size pilot hole for the screws.

Hi all! Ive just built one of these, thanks Alistair! Just a quick question, are these reactors noisy? I attached mine last night and all is fine, no leaks :). However i can hear what sounds like running water, that might sound stupid? I'm just worried that there is still air trapped inside. Have you found that these reactors are silent?

cDQV389.jpg

Thanks Lee.

You can have trapped air at the top of the tube when you fire one of these up which can give you the noise you are hearing. Also, feeding more CO2 than is being absorbed can also lead to the same thing after running a while. This can also inhibit the filter flow restarting after maintenance. I put a bleed valve at the top of my reactor for this reason.

You can have trapped air at the top of the tube when you fire one of these up which can give you the noise you are hearing. Also, feeding more CO2 than is being absorbed can also lead to the same thing after running a while. This can also inhibit the filter flow restarting after maintenance. I put a bleed valve at the top of my reactor for this reason.

Thanks DTL! Will this effect how the reactor works, cause any problems? I can live with the noise, so long as the reactor is working as it should do.

Thanks,

Lee.

The reactors performance is largely dependant on is dimension & flow through.

If you pump in a lot of gas with a slow flow, then you will get a large reservoir of gas building up in the top of the tube.
The pressure will build & reduce flow, it may also become quite noisy!

If you pump in to much flow the gas may be pushed out the other end & not be dissolved!

So a fairly narrow tube, that is long in length, with a high flow will work very well.

Alastair managed to get the dimensions just right to match his flow but other folk with different set ups might need to make some adjustments.

Anyhow you are most likely hearing the water flow traveling through the trapped air, this can take several hours to dissolve, the real test will be when you feed in the C02.

Oh! I haven't noticed any reduction in flow from my filter.
Didn't mean a reduction if flow, but a difficulty in restarting the circulation from the filter to the tank due to the air pocket.
You should also be aware that any significant bubble of trapped CO2 will mean you will still be dosing after the reg is shut off.

Hi! I'm running a tetra tec ex1200, and am using the same dimension pipe as Alistair. The reactor hasn't effected my flow much at all. However i still think there is some air trapped inside the reactor. I installed the reactor last night and left it running over night (co2 was off and still is at the moment). When i checked the reactor this morning, it still sounds as though there is air trapped inside the chamber. I thought this would have all gone over night?

It looks like you have the C02 inlet instead via a T piece, that can be used as a bleed, just pull of the line with the pump off & the air should escape.
Even better would to fit a Co2 line T with a short piece of line & a valve, then you can bleed with the pump on or off any time you like.

Hi Foxfish! I've just done that, thanks mate. Theres still a little bit of air inside the chamber but it sounds a lot better than it did. Co2 comes on in 45 mins so i'll see what happens then. Hopefully all will be good. I've been running an inline diffuser so i'm looking forward to a mist free tank :).

Thanks for your help.

Lee.

Foxfish! Do you know were i could get a valve to attach to the line? Just so can bleed the reactor as you suggested.
Well yes, I just found them on Ebay... beautiful miniature works of art ... unfortunately I am out of the office as such! I will link you asap :)

Back