• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

riparium planter medium

sa80mark

Apologies if this is in the wrong section

Im looking at getting my bits sorted for my upcoming riparium project and cant decide on what media to use in the planters am I better off using akadama or Hydroton Clay Pebbles ? Or is it as I suspect the same thing with a different name ?

Mark

Which ever I use I was planning to cap it with 3 - 5 mm coarse sand,

The hydroton is amazingly cheap so I will go for that

Thanks tom :)

Which ever I use I was planning to cap it with 3 - 5 mm coarse sand,

The hydroton is amazingly cheap so I will go for that

Thanks tom :)

Which planters are you using mark. If its the shower caddy type then sand will fall through the balls and out if the holes in it. Id use something with a bigger grain size such as cat litter or similar

I didnt even consider it falling though :( for planters im not sure yet, ive looked for shower caddy type but cant find anything locally and the ones ive found on ebay are really expensive so ive considered using tupaware or similar, I did plan on using mesh screen inside the planters as shown on riparium supply website

That would be fantastic thank you for the offer tom, I can get new suckers very easily if you pm how much you want I will get payment etc sorted :)

I used the Blisshome/Interdesign ones from Amazon. Got a few going spare if you wanted to save a few quid, although I can't vouch for how well the suckers will hold up now they're a few years old.

Use the extra large paper clips and bend them into an S shape and hook them on the glass. Thats what I did after the suckers gave up.

If you need more ontop of the ones from tom just search suction shower caddy on ebay. Loads come up

Ive not looked into them properly yet but heres some im looking into

Maranta leuconeura erythroneura

Soleirolia soleirolii

Muehlenbeckia complexa

Pilea cadierei

Maidenhair fern

Baccopa monneri

sorry to hijack the thread a little but i am interested in settung some of these up in my low tech planted discus tank. is there any plants you could reccomend Alastair?

Theres lots, the peace lilys are great in planters, antherium plants ( myfavourite), calathea which are fast growers, marsilea hirsuta is beautiful emmersed, glossostigma ontop of the planter substrate... the list is endless.

Back