• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CRS new tank

Nick16

hi all,

don't think ive posted for a year or two now, and I don't recognise many names!

ive just obtained a 21x21x21 cube, around 140 litres.

I would like to keep some CRS properly in the tank, however it will be a new tank and I know they need a matured one.

I have a new TT Ex1200 coming for the tank which I can swap with one of my ones on my display tank so the media will be well cycled and mature. however, as there will be very little algae growth and biofilm in the tank, is it worth stocking with some cherry shrimp for a couple months first (I have loads in another tank) to get the tank going.. and then remove when I get CRS....

already have cattapa leaves from a foray a few years ago.

living in surrey, I do have hard water, will this pose a problem?

can I stock any tank mates with CRS? my cherries are in with some corys, khulis, cardinals and ottos

cheers

Hi Nick - welcome back! :)

If you want to breed CRS I'd recommend RO with a GH booster such as Salty Shrimp GH+. A KH of near 0 is ideal and promotes breeding.

An active soil substrate such as Aqua Soil or similar will buffer pH nicely.

Also avoid CO2 injection and heavy dosing if you're breeding. Conductivity should be a stable 200-250. Ideal temp 18-22C.

Plant heavily, especially moss and biofilm will soon grow.

After a couple of weeks you can add a few CRS. If they do well add a few more and they'll soon produce babies.

The key to success IME is immaculate water quality, stable water chemistry and high O2 levels. And probably no fish or bigger shrimp too.

All the above is based on my own experience. I have a CRS breeding tank journal here - George's "Crystal Palace" - now with HD video | UK Aquatic Plant Society

hi George, tank looks cracking buddy!

I don't have an RO unit, but do you think I could get away with a small desktop unit like the following?
ET-PURE 5-stage Reverse Osmosis (RO)Countertop Pumped Water Purification System | eBay

that is going to be my only problem with keeping the shrimp as I know im on top of my water conditions, 02 levels will be fine, house is always 18-19C, but I have a hydor ETH to keep it nice and stable, perhaps aim for around 20c so that I have a bit of give when doing WC's.

what is conductivity?

planting is no problem, lighting no issue, soil I can obtain.

what ferts are you guys using now? last time I was on here liquid ferts were TPN+ and easycarbo! I guess its changed a bit since then.... :)

That RO unit seems fine.

Many keep CRS in tap but with active soil to keep the pH and KH down. But they are delicate creatures so RO is best as there's no other nasties.

Tropica ferts are still popular but there's cheaper equivalents of course. I don't use liquid carbon but as long as you don't overdose it should be ok. CO2 can be dosed but shrimplet broods are known to be lower. Always keep O2 levels up, especially t night in a planted tank when respiration occurs.

Conductivity is basically a measure of how much stuff is in the water, similar to TDS. I only go by conductivity as my filter gives a constant read-out. It usually creeps up over time, so measuring it can be useful to maintain stable parameters, especially when using a reference like RO and re-min powder.

are there any RO units out there that don't need to be plumbed in? i.e can be fed water manually?

I would only be needing 50 litres every 2 weeks or so for water changes so im reluctant to plumb something in that requires such little usage.

I borrow a friends one that has had a hookup for a standard garden/washing machine tap fitted to it
Or buy 25l at a time from your lfs

You can buy a standard RO filter and with a couple of cheap extras you can make it into a portable system so that it does not have to be permanently plumbed in.

See here -

Carl gets absolutely everywhere lol!

I don't know who he is. Is he on here?

I thought it was a great video and made setting up an RO system real easy.

Yeah, his nickname is Bartash.
He does do very good and in depth reviews. He features on APFUK's videos too. He seems in high demand :)

thats cracking guys, being able to connect to your garden hose is a very clever thing. il try to source the connectors he mentions in the video and il be away!

in the mean time il get the tank up and running by getting my cherries and a few cardinals in there to kick start the biofilm.

all i need to do is source a nice shrimp friendly substrate thats beneficial for both the shrimp and plants, some ferts and the plants themselves!

cheers il have a browse in the morning when im not on the phone.

i have hard water so will this influence what substrate i need to buy?

thanks for all your help! if im going to do it, im doing it properly!

cheers il have a browse in the morning when im not on the phone.

i have hard water so will this influence what substrate i need to buy?

thanks for all your help! if im going to do it, im doing it properly!

No, but if your wanting the best for CRS, then go for Ebi Gold substrate, or possibly ADA Amazonia II. Sands and the like will be fine, but won't pull down the Ph.

was reading a few topics on it and it seems most on here use the Ebi gold and really rate it.
im hoping I can get away with 10l on a 21x21 (inches) I think I will come up about 2kg short of decent coverage. :/

was reading a few topics on it and it seems most on here use the Ebi gold and really rate it.
im hoping I can get away with 10l on a 21x21 (inches) I think I will come up about 2kg short of decent coverage. :/

Yeah, maybe a bit shy. It depends if you want it flat or slightly ramped towards the back.

Back