• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ada 60p lighting options

Hi

Been hiding in the shadows for a while but finally decided to sign up to this useful forum. Afraid my first post is a question...

MTS has kicked in again and ordered another tank, this time an ADA 60p (60x30x36cm) so I've been researching lighting options for it.

I've looked in MH but this tank will be in the bedroom so I don't really want the heat they give of, plus the running costs.

All my tanks so far have been powered by t5's so that's my first viable option, a 2x24w t5 setup for the tank. But ideally I'd like to use LED's as I do think they're the future for aquarium lighting.

So I've looked into them but most successful cases I've seen have been from America so the Finnex units and similar they use aren't available in the UK.

From what I've read the fluval aqua life LED seems pretty low light, I intend to carpet this tank probably with HC or similar so this light won't be sufficient.

I've come across the grobeam 600's and the classica LED over tank luminaire but know little about them.

So I'm wondering what other people would do in my situation?

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Josh

I think a lot of people including George Farmer and Ian Holditch are using TMC tiles with a controller. This is what I have done on my Ada 75p and it seems perfect for the job!

Hmm that's interesting I did look at those but thought it would be difficult to get an even spread in a 60cm tank.

How many do you have over the 75p?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have one 1500 TMC tile over mine and the spread just about reaches the corners. I have mine running at 35% as I have it attached using MountaRays.

A controller is a must in my opinion!!!

The ADA Aquasky 602 LED is fantastic. I have one over the 60P and it's brilliant. I can grow any plant I want under there. Works like a bomb. Initially it's pricey though. Not sure what the cost of one will be in the UK, or compared to the TMC, but the results are brilliant.

The ADA Aquasky 602 LED is fantastic. I have one over the 60P and it's brilliant. I can grow any plant I want under there. Works like a bomb. Initially it's pricey though. Not sure what the cost of one will be in the UK, or compared to the TMC, but the results are brilliant.

I'd love one but couldn't find a way to buy one here in the UK. They do look awesome though, very jealous!

Theres a few shops in germany that sell them and I might be wrong but I believe they are only available in 110volt so you would also need a transformer to power one in the uk

The ADA 602 does look good and Im considering if I can get my hands on one, but if moneys no object I think the Elos lights look amazing:

E lite3 > Illuminazione > ELOS

3L or 3S

I have an UP PRO-Z LED which does the job and doesnt look too bad, but lusting after the ADA or Elos.

Theres a few shops in germany that sell them and I might be wrong but I believe they are only available in 110volt so you would also need a transformer to power one in the uk

Hmm ok will check them out but not to keen on that idea...

So let's assume the TMC tiles are a good route, which model and how many would be suitable to have over the 60p for an even spread? Would definitely get a controller, sounds like it's needed.

About to have a search through some journals etc and check them out in more detail as haven't really looked into them before.

If it were me I would go for 2 grobeam 600 with controller these will give good spread and offer more than enough light

The ADA 602 does look good and Im considering if I can get my hands on one, but if moneys no object I think the Elos lights look amazing:

E lite3 > Illuminazione > ELOS

3L or 3S

I have an UP PRO-Z LED which does the job and doesnt look too bad, but lusting after the ADA or Elos.

Have you any information on people who have the ELOS E-lite3L Eboeagles? They look very interesting. Im currently after an LED unit and this could fit the bill.

If it were me I would go for 2 grobeam 600 with controller these will give good spread and offer more than enough light

I found an aquaray PDF that shows 3 grobeam 500's over a 60cm tank. So assume the 600 being brighter 2 will be enough.

Can get a twin pack and controller for under £200. Definitely seems like the best LED option so far.

The 600 are said to be brighter yes, there is a member on here (I cant remember who :( ) ran 2 500's on a similar size tank if I remember right and they were far to bright so yes 2 600's will be more than enough

Hang on... the Aquasky is multi voltage compatible. I'm in South Africa and we run 240v and I use one with no issues. It's 110-220w compatible. Universal, if you want. You'll just need to change the plug on the unit or get an adaptor to plug it in.

I have never even seen a TMC in the flesh, so I cannot comment on that.

I wonder why the UK ADA agent hasn't brought in the Aquasky? It is EU compatible?

Hang on... the Aquasky is multi voltage compatible. I'm in South Africa and we run 240v and I use one with no issues. It's 110-220w compatible. Universal, if you want. You'll just need to change the plug on the unit or get an adaptor to plug it in.

I have never even seen a TMC in the flesh, so I cannot comment on that.

I wonder why the UK ADA agent hasn't brought in the Aquasky? It is EU compatible?

No, it apparently does not meet EU regulations regarding the Acrylic mounts being dangerous, with risk of the unit falling into the tank.

Oh is that what it was, I seem to remember when tgm were sponsors there was a thread on there page about them

Oh is that what it was, I seem to remember when tgm were sponsors there was a thread on there page about them

Yes mate. I recall hearing it on here.

I would look with interest at Eboeagles suggestion of the Elos'.

The small one would suffice over a 600.

Back