• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project Co2 reactor build for Fluval FX5

Another great build.

I need to sort out a reactor for my co2 as at the moment I'm just running a ceramic disc which isn't up to the job.

I was initially thinking of building foxfish's reactor but I think this one will fit in with my set up better, and hopefully be a bit cheaper.

I'm thinking of having a 90 deg elbow at each end of the 50mm pipe as it will give me better access to fix the filter hose. Do you think this will be ok?

Also as I'll be running it off a fluval 405 Which has 16/22 hose so I'll get the 1 1/4 to 19mm barb connection and hopefully the 16/22 hose will sweat over it?

so my shopping list will be

2x
Metric PVC Elbow 90 Deg Plain x Male Thread | Metric PVC Elbow 90 Deg 50mmx1.25 M Th | City Irrigation Ltd

1x
Metric uPVC Pipe 50mm | | City Irrigation Ltd

2x 1 1/4 inch F Thread to 19mm Barb - Hose Tail Female Thread

Does this all look correct and will it work ok?

cheers.

Right gonna bite the bullet and order this lot, been driving my self crazy reading all the different methods of making reactors. Think I've just got to get stuck in!

Good luck mate

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

does the water come out the tank then into your reactor, then goes into the filter, then goes back into the tank? as I am really thinking about making two for my two filters, but want to make sure I get it right:banghead:

does the water come out the tank then into your reactor, then goes into the filter, then goes back into the tank? as I am really thinking about making two for my two filters, but want to make sure I get it right:banghead:

Hi dan. The reactor goes on the return hose from the filter to tank. So water from tank to filter as normal then out of the filter as normal down into the reactor then back up into the tank :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for the reply. just want to get it right, as wanna try get rid of the mist as much as I can if possible. When the co2 switches off, the water is nice and clear, so would be nice for it to be like that without the mist. now I got to get the parts and the also the parts to run two of these reactors, one for each filter.

did this diy reactor work well? I use fx5's and this would be worth a shot. I just use the jbl taifun reactor

did this diy reactor work well? I use fx5's and this would be worth a shot. I just use the jbl taifun reactor

Hi mate. Yes it was fantastic and better than any pre manufactured unit ive bought. Zero bubbles complete co2 mixing and plants responded by lucking much fuller and pearled lots from it. I also used less gas too.

I dont think the taifun would be up to much in a big tank.

Ermm roughly about 25 pounds in total for everything including delivery and upvc cement and id also got extra pieces incases I messed up.
I just noticed you said youd get one of the ups but if its the in line atomizer you cant fit it onto the 25mm hose in the fx5s and reducing the hoses would drastically cut your filter flow. You can get in tank up diffusers though

wish there was pics still :D
Aaargh its flickr they messed up all of my image links couple of months ago on all my threads. Ill re attach them now mate give me 5 or so and they should show

wow, didn't think that would be possible, really appreciate it mate

Yeah just done. Ive got to do all that with my last 3 years worth of journals later. :mad:

They should be showing at the beginning of this thread now

Back