• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eboeagles

This is something I've been wanting to do for quite a while now, but not had the stones to make the steps - I've tried all sorts with varying degrees of success, but have recently found some miniature dry stone thats meant to build model walls etc from (I'm sad I know)...

I guess the idea of the scape is in the fantasy genre so I'm sure quite a few of you are going to hate it but hey I love it. So without further ado here you go:

IMG_2942_zpsa5e66b42.jpg

IMG_2948_zps6666169c.jpg

IMG_2952_zpscb688980.jpg

IMG_2957_zpsedb14ae4.jpg

Here are a few of the inspiration pics - I have shed loads as I'm slightly obsessed by stairs and coastal paths, but I guess these are the ones that I had in mind while trying to create the scape:

IMG_0511_zps9b44227c.jpg

IMG_0492_zps10bce8b2.jpg

IMG_0474_zps9add1139.jpg

So there we are.

I'm going to try DSM on this with HC as per Andy's HC Propagator method

Andys HC propagator step by step | UK Aquatic Plant Society

+ I want to create a couple of small bushes back left and mid right. Suggestions for the bushes welcome, so far all I can think of is fissidens or riccia.

If the HC doesn't work as the plan is to have no filter and change the water once to twice a week. I may also add carbonated water as a source of CO2 but I guess we'll see how the DSM goes first.

Maybe I'll try some kind of tiny moss (mini moss?) or I'll cut up and flatten a Marimo moss ball or two. I'm also considering adding a couple of trees to add to the scene although it may be one step too far as its already pretty cheesy!

Comments, derision etc all welcome please!

Bloody brilliant such a small space but such a massive impact from the hardscape, marimo moss balls would look fantastic the darker green I think would make the steps really pop

It's nice to see something different. I'd level up the top 5 or 6 steps though. I wouldn't like to walk down those on a dark night, pub or not!

Bloody brilliant such a small space but such a massive impact from the hardscape, marimo moss balls would look fantastic the darker green I think would make the steps really pop
It's nice to see something different. I'd level up the top 5 or 6 steps though. I wouldn't like to walk down those on a dark night, pub or not!
I really like these sort of scapes:thumbup:
Nice to see something out of the box, yet very much in a box

Ha! you're all way too kind.

The scaping part is the easy part (and the most enjoyable). Growing the plants is what I always have trouble with!! Saying that I'm going safe with plants I know I can grow...

I've just made some tree's out of random bits of manzi wood that I'll stick in situ to see if the comments stay positive. I have a feeling they'll just complicate it and not add anything. Less is more as they say.

+ I want to create a couple of small bushes back left and mid right. Suggestions for the bushes welcome, so far all I can think of is fissidens or riccia.

Pepending on the size you want you could try Pogostemon Helferi. I looks a little like the plants growing the left on the last picture you inserted.

(sorry for Danish text on link)
Plantebeskrivelse

Cheers,
/Tim

Pepending on the size you want you could try Pogostemon Helferi. I looks a little like the plants growing the left on the last picture you inserted.

(sorry for Danish text on link)
Plantebeskrivelse

Cheers,
/Tim

HI Tim,

Thanks for the input. I'm wondering if pogostemon would be too big for the scale although I've noticed that quite a few pico scapes seem to include it. Definitely something to consider.

Cheers,
Phil

Loved these cubes when first released, shame they cost £200!! lol
Love the rock work, looks great :)

You could get away with a tree on the top left but might be too much, you could always get some mini bolbits in there might look like a tree in that scale or a mini fern.

could even get away with mini airgrass, but you would need to keep that in check, like mentioned broken up marimo ball could work, most mosses would there all and mini pellia.

Loved these cubes when first released, shame they cost £200!! lol
Love the rock work, looks great :)

You could get away with a tree on the top left but might be too much, you could always get some mini bolbits in there might look like a tree in that scale or a mini fern.

could even get away with mini airgrass, but you would need to keep that in check, like mentioned broken up marimo ball could work, most mosses would there all and mini pellia.

Hey Paulo thanks for the input, definitely more food for thought... I've already placed in some HC to try DSM with so I'll try and update with some pics tonight + take a few pics with tree to get a general vibe from everyone on that.

mini pellia would definitely bush well - I may see if Darren @ Living Waters has any more of those amazing overflowing pieces left...

Quick update.

DSM started with HC cuttings from my main tank

IMG_2981_zps3541fe2a.jpg

IMG_2984_zps72c3aa18.jpg

As mentioned previously I've been contemplating adding a tree or two to complete the setting and I amateurishly made a couple of trees from manzi twigs and some bonsai type wire

IMG_3094_zps542dd694.jpg

Tree position 1

IMG_3078_zps99f851fb.jpg

Tree position 2

IMG_3083_zpsa96b6390.jpg

Tree position 3

IMG_3086_zpscf0764d7.jpg

It may just be the rubbish home made tree but currently Im 98% thinking I should leave the tree idea - I think Im already pushing the boundary of taste as it is, but I'm 2% open to being convinced otherwise.

and then final tank shop with the cling film on for the DSM:

IMG_3090_zpsed502eda.jpg

I have some mini pellila and some fissedens on the way for some bushes, so I'll get some photos of them in situ as and when. In the meantime I guess I could also grab some fully bushed pads of both out of my main tank to see how they look, so maybe I'll get some photos up over the weekend.

Another quick update.

Its nearly a month and the DSM is working, the HC looks like it has trebled at least. I've also added in some Eleocharis SP Mini in a few spots to hopefully give it a natural feel . I may still add a little bush or two of mini pellia when I flood it.

I'm not quite sure when to flood though... Once the HC has filled in totally maybe?

As usual comments, thoughts etc all welcome...
IMG_3409_zpsaa82d749.jpg

IMG_3411_zps82039f79.jpg

From personal experience and lots of reading, the usual length of a HC DSM is between 3 and 6 weeks. Dan and I flooded our HC carpet after 4 werks, but we started with a lot of HC. I think sampikey flooded his tank at around 8 weeks when he had a complete carpet. People in the states advise around 3 weeks to avoid mould problems so i guess its up to you.
Yours is coming on a treat, filling in nicely.
A bit of advice for when you flood it? Give it plenty co2 and keep an eye out for diatoms appearing, we added ottos and amano shrimp at this time and did nothing with lighting the tank is doing great now the initial diatoms outbreak is gone.

Andy

From personal experience and lots of reading, the usual length of a HC DSM is between 3 and 6 weeks. Dan and I flooded our HC carpet after 4 werks, but we started with a lot of HC. I think sampikey flooded his tank at around 8 weeks when he had a complete carpet. People in the states advise around 3 weeks to avoid mould problems so i guess its up to you.
Yours is coming on a treat, filling in nicely.
A bit of advice for when you flood it? Give it plenty co2 and keep an eye out for diatoms appearing, we added ottos and amano shrimp at this time and did nothing with lighting the tank is doing great now the initial diatoms outbreak is gone.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. I think I'll wait another week or so and get it flooded.

I'm not planning on injecting CO2 though, I was going to try the old school method of using a carbonated water mix. Its also too small for fish but I could probably stick some shrimp in. Amanos are just sooo ugly though...

Back