• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi all,
If we want to be accurate, no moss flowering. This is sporangia those boxes erected at different high handles on asexual sporulation way by which mosses reproduce. These boxes with handles are asexual generation of Mosses or sporophyte. Often occurs in aquatic mosses growing surface. Very good photo
Like "Ansarka" says they aren't really flowers (these only occur in the angiosperms "flowering plants"), but the spore bearing capsules. Mosses and Liverworts are Bryophytes and the green plant is actually the gametophyte generation (n), and the capsule the sporophyte (2n), so the other way around from flowering plants and mammals etc. <Bryophyte Ecology>.

It is definitely being emersed that has allowed them to spore. You may be able to find the correct scientific name for your moss now it has capsules, as most moss taxonomy is based upon the morphology of the capsules.
Weeping moss is allegedly Vesicularia ferriei.
cheers Darrel

Ian, i know you are using an eheim 2073 with this and previous set ups. Can i ask how you find this filter in terms of reliability, noise, maintenance etc. I have always used eheim classic canisters and am considering replacing one with a 2073 and would appreciate some feedback from someone who has run one for some time.

Thanks

Charlie

Hi Charlie, the filter is fine on a tank this size, I also used it on the 125 ltr. I probs wouldn't go any higher litreage with this filter. As for performance, you cannot fault ehiem in any way IMO. Runs silently, maintainence is easy and build quality is great. They are easier to maintain that the canisters. I have used a fair few filters and this one is the best I have used. It was a little loud when I first struck it up, and it did take a couple of days to settle.

If we want to be accurate, no moss flowering. This is sporangia those boxes erected at different high handles on asexual sporulation way by which mosses reproduce. These boxes with handles are asexual generation of Mosses or sporophyte. Often occurs in aquatic mosses growing surface. Very good photo

Cheers and thank you for clearing that up. I have seen this a few times on terrestrial moss, not on aquatic moss though.

What rate would you say that moss grows at as a guesstimate ? It looks lush :)

Thanks bin, ime tropica 1-2 grow grows really well in high tech conditions. I have had this setup running for nearly 3 months and the moss have had a good hacking monthly.

Hi all,

Like "Ansarka" says they aren't really flowers (these only occur in the angiosperms "flowering plants"), but the spore bearing capsules. Mosses and Liverworts are Bryophytes and the green plant is actually the gametophyte generation (n), and the capsule the sporophyte (2n), so the other way around from flowering plants and mammals etc. <Bryophyte Ecology>.

It is definitely being emersed that has allowed them to spore. You may be able to find the correct scientific name for your moss now it has capsules, as most moss taxonomy is based upon the morphology of the capsules.
Weeping moss is allegedly Vesicularia ferriei.
cheers Darrel

Cheers for that darrel, and thank you for the link. Always good to hear from an expert on the matter.

Hi Charlie, the filter is fine on a tank this size, I also used it on the 125 ltr. I probs wouldn't go any higher litreage with this filter. As for performance, you cannot fault ehiem in any way IMO. Runs silently, maintainence is easy and build quality is great. They are easier to maintain that the canisters. I have used a fair few filters and this one is the best I have used. It was a little loud when I first struck it up, and it did take a couple of days to settle.

Thanks for that Ian, good to know

Nice work! But mosses do not flower.

Cheers hydrophyte, yes I'm aware they don't, but wasn't aware what they are called. As above they are capsules.

I really like your Bucephalandras, they are awsome! The whole tank is just amazing, good work and congrats!

Thank you very much! The bucephalandras is starting to get new leaves,miso it's doing ok.

So this is where you hang out Ian ;) Tank is looking great. And the 1-2 grow is the best. :D

Hi Claire, good to see you here and thank you very much.

Nice vid, gotta love the Rummys.
You seem to have cracked the flow from day one in here.Has the lilly pipe always been back left, and does the flow just bounce off the front glass ?

Your welcome :) It was a pleasure watching Ian, great vid with nice little touches like the shot of the dc. Those little corys are cool, so active and striking against the sand.
Seems you have everything under perfect control with this tank, moss, bolbitus and hc, you've made it seem effortless, very professional.
Great stuff.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Absolutely inspired by this. Been watching quietly since start and love it every step of the way :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Nice vid, gotta love the Rummys.
You seem to have cracked the flow from day one in here.Has the lilly pipe always been back left, and does the flow just bounce off the front glass ?

Hi stu, thank you, and yes the flow bounces off of the front an carrys round the tank. The filter is overpowered for a tank this size, and the tank isn't very high, so flow remains good. Ehiem test there pumps with media in, so it won't be that short of its rated flow rate.

beautiful aquarium with healthy plants. Well done

Thank you!

Your welcome :) It was a pleasure watching Ian, great vid with nice little touches like the shot of the dc. Those little corys are cool, so active and striking against the sand.
Seems you have everything under perfect control with this tank, moss, bolbitus and hc, you've made it seem effortless, very professional.
Great stuff.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Thank you ady, much appreciated. Tbh I'm surprised how well it has actually gone in this tank, as the light is higher than I would normally go, it must be something to do with the plant mass in there.

Absolutely inspired by this. Been watching quietly since start and love it every step of the way :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you very much for your comment Ali, much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Here's a few pics from this evening. Nothing much on TV...the tank will be going for another few weeks, and then taken down, hopefully gonna get the iaplc shot on Wednesday.
Here's a pic of a red cherry
8690734712_4c2c4dd524_z.jpg
image by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

A pic of HC 'giganitica' thanks Paulo for this...it is staying nice and big in the tank also.
8690735084_2fc09879fb_z.jpg

A couple of pics of the rummys
8690735442_340b5fcea2_z.jpg

8690735200_fa91985047_z.jpg

A stu Worrall esq, shot of the tank
8690734910_66b1d8f0a5_z.jpg

Back