• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Trigon 190 'Crypt Corner' (PFK featured)

How's this going Gary?
Any updates on the led lighting and 'very soon' photo updates ;)
Cheerio
Ady

Hi Ady, yes its still ticking along nicely thank you - I decided to add the LED lights on my next re-scape which will be in June. I just thought that rather than risk upsetting the balance of this setup and to also to introduce the new lighting system from the beginning in the next journal. Besides this tanks is due to be in PFK in march, so I could not bear to tear it down just yet.

I am making a few slight tweaks to this though this week, courtesy of some blyxa from 'Nath' (whitey89) so I will be popping some more pics up very soon and showing this off.

Hey this tank was looking great a couple of weeks ago. I had not seen that latest update. Do you have any new pictures?

I believe that hillstream loach to be Sewellia lineolata, the same fish that I have in my 56G riparium setup.

Thank you:) - yes I will be posting a few updates up very soon - the 2 Loach's still continue to be one of my favourite fish in this scape, they are very fascinating little things and display lovely markings. I will definitely be adding a couple more in my next setup:thumbup:

Hi Ady, yes its still ticking along nicely thank you - I decided to add the LED lights on my next re-scape which will be in June. I just thought that rather than risk upsetting the balance of this setup and to also to introduce the new lighting system from the beginning in the next journal. Besides this tanks is due to be in PFK in march, so I could not bear to tear it down just yet.

I am making a few slight tweaks to this though this week, courtesy of some blyxa from 'Nath' (whitey89) so I will be popping some more pics up very soon and showing this off.
Sounds good mate, best not to change things when it's going well! Tweaks sound interesting and ill look forward to the updates 'very soon' ;)
I can't wait for the pfk article, must be the next one out.....:)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Sounds good mate, best not to change things when it's going well! Tweaks sound interesting and ill look forward to the updates 'very soon' ;)
I can't wait for the pfk article, must be the next one out.....:)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers Ady - yes it should be in not tomorrows issue, but the one after that :thumbup:

really nice setup,i have looked but could not find what lighting you are using.
keep up the great work roy

Thanks Roy, Im just using the standard Juwel lighting at present, ive found that more than adequate to grow most things. I plan to switch over to all LED though in June when I do a re-scape.

Just a bit of an update - today I decided to do a custom fit on my new rear LED light, again wanting this to look as neat as possible and for it to throw a little more light into the back of the display.
I am running this light alongside the T5's as well, but the effect this extra light throws out when the main lights have gone off is superb, very natural looking indeed! I will get some more photos uploaded very soon.
I do plan to change the standard Juwel T5's over to solid state tiles as well in the near future and add the controller.

8461517472_30a52a8fe9_b.jpg
DSC_0791 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

8460416353_c0cc0d1198_b.jpg
DSC_0796 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

8460412529_9c305477f4_b.jpg
DSC_0797 by DigitalDream3, on Flickr

Cheers Ian, this is the tiny 400 tile - I wanted a small one to fit right into the back as I've always felt with the trigon that the back never quite gets the light.
I will replace the T5's with the larger ones though, I'm very impressed with these tiles and I can see why you guys are moving over to them :) a quality product too!

I know what you mean regarding the light at the back. I always thought that it was dark. I think it's because the filter is normally stuck there, and there was really know need to get light there. Really good idea though mate. I wish these tiles were as popular when I had my corner tank, as I would have probs done the same as you. Are you gonna put a grobeam 600 in the front panel?

I think I will just go with adding 2 larger tiles in a similar place to where the T5's are - I think I've got the design right to mount them now, as you know the T5 ballast is the holder for the front and rear flaps on the Trigon, so it will involve some custom work! Something I really enjoy doing though, plus it will bring my trigon into the solid state lighting brigade ;)

Do you have the controller on your new tiles?

Sounds great Gary, and remember to do a write up on how you DIY it.

Yes, I'm using the controller on my tile. It's nice having the flexibility of being able to turn the light down, also the ramping up and down is a great feature.

Sounds great Gary, and remember to do a write up on how you DIY it.

Yes, I'm using the controller on my tile. It's nice having the flexibility of being able to turn the light down, also the ramping up and down is a great feature.

Yes I will do mate, I'm terrible at taking pics in stages on a project! I brought my camera out for this update and then I get that stuck into doing the work that I forget to take the photos... and then I just show the finished product :(
Looking back I should of showed the tools used, Dremel in action and the neat silicon work to mount it... To late now though lol

I will definitely do some proper stage by stage photos when I build the custom twin tile mount though :)

nice work gary.

can I ask how you fitted it?

I have been given a replacement tile from TMC and I am keen not to ruin it again?

Hi Jim, I decided to mount this in the actual flap of the hood, rather than underneath it - I very carefully cut out the shape of the tile about 1mm smaller than the unit it's self with my Dremel. I then ran a bead of black silicone sealer around the top and bottom.
I found this more than adequate to hold the tile in the hood flap. Those heat sinks get quite hot so it now has plenty of ventilation to cool.

Gary, I love your DIY. Its always neat and slick!

Cheers Nath, it took me a few hours, but its well worth it - just like you with your cabinet build... A perfectionist :)

Cheers Nath, it took me a few hours, but its well worth it - just like you with your cabinet build... A perfectionist :)
Thanks man ;)

I, as you, consider it an investment. For minutes put in, you get hours of enjoyment out!

Just seen this journal and gone through the lot in one go. I can't really add anything creative, but I just wanted to say that your layout is clever and beautiful, and that your mods for the tank and your home built cabinets are some of the best DIY aquarium work that I have ever seen, and they are truely creative too.

All the best from Bill. :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back