• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lava-Rock The World v2.0

xtevo

Hello fellows!
As I have mentioned at my other journal, I'm a happy owner of two aquariums, but the problems, maintenance also makes double. :)

My inspiration was that faboulos tank made by Hector Baca - Sky Cliff, and after that I decided to make a minimalistic iwagumi / rocky-mountain layout. Of course I don't want to copy-paste that tank, I just want to make a similar. ;)

Here are the specs:

AQUARIUM
70x30x35 6mm float glass
FILTRATION
Tetratec EX1200
LIGHTING
Hagen Glo 2x24W (Osram Daylight + Sylvania Grolux)
HEATING
Jager 50W or Jager 100W
COOLING
House AC
SUBSTRATE
JBL Aquabasis Plus + Akadama
DECORATION/LAYOUT
15kg lavastone
FERTILIZERS
Green Aqua Micro + Macro
Easy Carbo
Co2: nope
FLORA
Eleocharis Parvula
Taxiphyllum barbieri
Vesicularia dubyana "Christmas"
Lomariopsis lineata
FAUNA
Haven't decided it yet, suggestions are welcomed!
Laubuca dadyburjori - Chela + yellow fire shrimp
Boraras Brigittae + sakura shrimp

looks good mate which moss have you used how is it attached ? only thing for me is maybe a finer substate at the front would be better like this a lot though :thumbup:

Thanks. ;) The moss is mostly java and a little christmas. I will make a proper foreground in the near future, and that won't be a problem any more. ;)

Wow, what a great looking tank. I actually really like the substrate. I am contemplating doing a tank very similar to this now.
How come your going for mini Eleocharis as a foreground ? E. tenellus might look better as a foreground plant, mini eleocharis might look a bit swamped when its planted in with the larger foreground substrate size.

Looks great, but i don't like the substrate! I recommend using weeping moss on the rocks. Good luck!
Thanks! ;) I like the color of the substrate, this light brown fits perfectly for the scape, but with the size of each gravel, I agree, I don't satisfied with it.

Wow, what a great looking tank. I actually really like the substrate. I am contemplating doing a tank very imilar to this now.
How come your going for mini Eleocharis as a foreground ? E. tenellus might look better as a foreground plant, mini eleocharis might look a bit swamped when its planted in with the larger foreground substrate size.
Thanks, my pleasure, that You liked it. ;) Just ask, if anything come to your mind, I hope I can help. Well I have already planned to plant some eleocharis parvula mini in the foreground, and of course some mossy stones. I've just need some free time. :)

looks great, i am really liking Lava rock i wish i could find some:sour:
Thanks! ;) Just a travel to Italy, or a near vulcano, and problem solved! :D joking. You can easily buy in a Garden "shops" or from Aquarium Stores.

Nice hardskape. Love the canyon look. Crush some lava rock and spread it in the front so will look as fragments from the big ones..looking forward for update.

Nice hardskape. Love the canyon look. Crush some lava rock and spread it in the front so will look as fragments from the big ones..looking forward for update.
Thanks! That's a good idea, crushing some lava rocks, I will do this. ;) Hopefully I will buy some new ones also next week from a friend, for rescaping my other tank. ;)

Shame on me, for the lazyness... Tank is still going, and the mosses are dominating the scape. Unfortunately I haven't developed the scape "manually" I let the nature to do the job. ;)

Current look, about 4 months old:
8568234489_b6caff58fc_z.jpg
Frontview - 4 months by [stevo], on Flickr

8568234351_1df32aa1e1_z.jpg
Sideview - 4months by [stevo], on Flickr

Fantastic my friend!
The tank looks very healthy, have you had any algae issues?
Thanks! My pleasure, that You like it also. ;) Well, to be honest, only green spot algae on the glass, because sometimes direct sunlight comes in the room, and a little hair algae, but I take it out with a toothbrush weekly 5 minutes maximum.
I dose Easy Carbo 1,5ml/day and GreenAqua Micro & Macro 3ml/week.

Back