• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

SUPREME FESTIVAL OF FISHKEEPING

My local club here (Irish Tropical Fish Society) is making a trip over for that weekend, not sure if I will go though, these guys are hard core fish folks and would have no problem walking around for 3 days admiring the fish, not sure I would be so keen, need to make my mind up quickly deposits are being taken atm for overnight accommodation and transport etc.

Some of the guys were there last year and posted some pictures on our website, it looks great although 3 days is probably too much excitement for me. But you never know you may see me there yet!

I will post up some pics later on that were posted on our club website, you guys might be surprised at what people will do for an event like that. They have this competition each year at Hayling where people make "Themed" tanks (think finger down throat......ugh!!!) personally I dont like them, but the pics will give you some idea what people may do for their own society. This is not the same competition that you guys are entering but I bet people will copy this sort of thing, its a very popular event by all accounts. Most of the guys that were there from our club last year thought these themed tanks were fab :rolleyes:

A good planted tank though should win easy, but no accounting for peoples tastes!

Here we go, this is from Hayling 2006

show101.jpg

show100.jpg

show098.jpg

show096.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Nessa of ITFS, thanks Nessa :D

I bet people will do stuff like this

I told them on our club forum that I thought they were naf (the above)and posted a link to FAAQ's picture of the underwater tree scape and then they all raved about that instead and thought that was much better, but originally thought the above were all fab :rolleyes:

Dont particularily like FAAQ's scape myself but some members were raving about the bonsai in the scapes above so I posted that instead, at least it was underwater.

Anyway just some food for thought of what you may expect as you get some ideas trogether.

Hopefully me (Michael Lawson) and Corin Castle should come along. Sounds good...

**** UPDATES ****

Hi guys,

I need to know who is definitely coming to the Festival of Fishkeeping and who needs accomodation.

I'll be arriving Friday morning and staying Friday and Saturday night. It costs 90 quid for those two nights for anyone staying. I'll find out more details about food etc. soon when I phone the organiser, Joe.

We'll be setting up our UKAPS stand on the Friday daytime/evening, in time for the public opening at 9am on the Saturday.

The show ends on Sunday evening so we will pack up and go home then I think. I am going away on holiday on Monday so don't want to stay too late...

I don't think we'll be doing all the tank displays, like I mentioned at the BBQ, as it's too much work with our own to look after too.

Maybe we will volunteer to do one nice public display tank, depending on how busy we are?

There's the society aquarium contest to think about too.

Bear in mind I'll be busy with PFK too doing a 'question time' session with the public. I was thinking of doing a lecture too about hi-tech planted tanks.

I think that's about it for now. Any more info I'll post it here. Ask questions here too so everyone knows.

Gooday guys, i'm workin on the Friday but i recon i'll get a half day and then cruise down. I'll be in the van so it'll take a while! I'll bring the whole stand, graphics, merchandising etc so i looks like it may be a late one, all hand on deck!
I don't need accomadation, if Beaki is coming i'll stay at a friends house, if not i'll be kippin in the van! he he, it'll be fun.
I recon i'm gonna need the van for all the beer LOL woohoo!
Lookin forward to it guys.

mate worse comes to the worst, you can always sleep on my floor if needed. Ill be there ever day, although college friday, so itll be 7 before i get there i recon, although Ill go directly from college, which is half way there.

i'm 90% going but only for one day. i think saturday is most likley and i'll drive home afterwards so dont worry about accomodation.

matt - i was thinkin of leaving my arms behind so i cant spend a fortune and carry it all to the car. lol

i'm in - will be there on saturday bright and early. looking forward to it.

UPDATE

Exciting news...

Dan and I have been super-busy.

The UKAPS stand is looking awesome.

It will be next to the PFK stand. You won't miss us, trust me...

We have 2x 350 l. Fluval Venezia corner tanks to aquascape live for the public. It will be videod too.

We have A LOT of plants coming fresh from Asia courtesy of Plants Alive. Loads of premium potted crypts, Anubias covered rocks, 100s of stems. 3 HUGE Java ferns (2 of which grown by me).

We have loads of awesome brachy wood from D-Pac and Ireland (thanks, zig).

We have loads of awesome rocks from Aqua Essentials.

We have black and white (seperate) substrate from D-Pac.

Leaflets, T-shirts etc.

The Soceity Furnished Aquaria contest display tank will rock and will win (I would ike to think).

This will be a HUGE boost for the planted tank hobby and aquascaping.

6000+ visitors are likely to attend. Please be one of them.

Dan can fill you in on further details, if I've missed anything...

great work guys, should be fantastic. you better win the comp or you'll never live it down lol. i will len a hand on saturday if there's anything i can help with. i'm sure it will all be set up by then but just ask if i can be of any use.

Wish I was going now, ow well, good work on the stand, don't forget the cameras everyone :)

Sounds awesome George, and I would love to be able to get there. I don`t know if you have all the hardscape you require, but below are some pics of rocks I collected recently, that still need a little clean up.

As a sense of scale, the Iwagumi is a 60cm tank.

m029pb.jpg

The above pic was a little overexposed, so I have included this one to show the texture of the rocks:

m031pb.jpg

Dave.

Attachments

• m029pb.jpg
    m029pb.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 153
  • m031pb.jpg
    m031pb.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 165
Back