• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

An unexpected success

hartle

Seedling
My first tank (well, since my 6 year old goldfish phase). Had no real clue what I was doing so just read through web and had a crack. Expected a lot of trial and error but tank's been going for about 9 months and has gone from strength to strength I feel. Except for my Amazon swords which loses leaves regularly and has been completely replaced once. Any thoughts on this problem anyone?

Tank is Juwel Rekord 600 - approx 60L
Was 70/30 RO and tap to start. Now tap replacement of 25% every week + 50mm alder cone 'tea'.
Tetra plantamin once a month and 1ml Easycarbo every two days (or so).
Plants are all planted directly into substrate of B&Q playsand only :wideyed: (I didn't know anything about aqua soils etc).
Large roots are Marsh roots. Lights on for 10hrs per day. I prune when necessary (usually only the Hygro diff)

Plants:
Vallisneria, Hygrophila difformis, Cryptocoryne (I think the brown is beckettii, the green I don't know), Java ferns and Amazon sword.

Fish:
Cardinal Tetra, Head and Tail light tetra, Panda corydoras and Otocinclus affinis (so hardly a spot of algae anywhere)

I'm due to move house in a few months and think I'll get into some more/new aquascaping it's as much fun as keeping the fish. That means new and bigger tanks (my girl will be pleased! ;) )

Tank%201.JPG

Tank%202.JPG

Welcome ! Nice clean and tidy scape you have there!

Cracking effort for a first tank!

Andy

Not too shabby for a first go :) Its a great looking tank, very natural looking. Is that a 3d background? The first image looks like it might be. Either way, well done!

Good tank! The swords could be having a problem because they are growing along the surface, are they close to the light source?

Very nice tank, as everbody has said before me, and great first effort.

Do you dose any CO2 and what lighting has the tank got?

Jason

Back