• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting somwhere? pic updates

here goes then ...

6 weeks ago i was plodding along nicely with a very bog standed 180 ltr tank with two plants. A broken down filter and the oportunity to upgrade tank for free coupled with a best mate who is scaping hooked and i have found myself attempting my first low tech tank.

haha and it is low compared to some of the scapes on here ... only 6 weeks in and i want to change it :D

gonna stick with it though cause after alot of reading on here, the best way to learn seems to be by doing :? here are some pics of how it is going so far :D

forum5.jpg

forum4.jpg

forum3.jpg

forum2.jpg

forum1.jpg

i made it a 360 degree ish tank cause i have always loved the idea ... however prob not the wisest decision for a first attempt :D

like everyone tips and hints really welcome
cheers dave

Re: my first low tech tank

it is a good start.

Look at you trying to be all arty with you corner shots!
Its coming along nicely mate, see you still havent added the extra gravel to grade the rocks in a bit though...lazy :lol:
I do like the new enchinodorus, think they will grow full tank height eventually....

You might want to check you fert regime with someone with a little more low tech experience than me too... :oops:

when i started this tank i had never been on this site and realised the huge potential of a planted tank ! i even said to my mate that two or three plants max .. my focus in the past had always been a nice piece of wood and my fish. hence the massive chunk of bog wood which i still love, but would love some plant tips to help break or compliment the massive horizontal lines of the wood. i am planning to introduce some moss to help tone it down a bit but my planting knowledge is very basic :~)

will be happier when this view has some more green in it :) or maybe red or brown lol being colourblind has its drawbacks with a planted tank ... a bit cloudy cause of me messing with it :oops:

forum.jpg

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
Love the wood mate, is it all one piece?
Kris

yeah its one solid lump and i could not resist it :D i might of done things differently after spending a few hours on here, and tried to of been more creative. saying that i still like the wood :lol:

Re: too much splash?

my top water inlet to the tank really aggitates the surface (splashes). my tank being low tech with no added co2 ... i have read that this will disperse any co2 that is in there. my question is if i set it up so it just ripples will the fish still get enough oxygen? i will keep having a read and try not to be a no nothing :oops:

i imagine the ripples will be fine. You are not injecting co2 so will not be losing any through surface agitation.

darren636 said:
i imagine the ripples will be fine. You are not injecting co2 so will not be losing any through surface agitation.
thanks darren ... so in my tank i can concentrate on making sure the fish have oxygen and not worry about the co2 :)

Re: mossed it up!

tried to plant some moss to break the wood up... i really struggled, i ended up stuffing it into any crack/split i could find. any tips on planting it? so i can add some to where i want it to be )

Re: mossed it up!

Looking good :thumbup: Really like the 360 degree idea too!

I have best results when the moss peices are quite small (as apposed to sheets) and tied on with lots of thread, round and round. When it is in small bits i find it grows more evenly.

Your wood looks great, looking forward to seeing the moss!

Back