• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filtration on a 260L

Mark Webb

I am currently setting up a 260 litre planted tank. I have 2 Eheim Pro II 2028's which give me a total of 1500 litres per hour. I have a leak on one of the filters which is proving difficult to resolve and may replace it. Would it be wise to upgrade to a Pro III or would it be overdoing it?

Hi,
A 260L injected tank should have 2600LPH "Rating" so that two TT1200's would come close. The Eheim 2080 is rated at around 1700 so you'd still be a bit below the optimum, but it's a heck of a filter. other possibilities are FX5 or TT2400 which would get you closer to the target.

Cheers,

Thanks guys. The turnover on the Eheim 2080 is only 750 litres according to Eheim,

LondonDragon said:
Mark Webb said:
Thanks guys. The turnover on the Eheim 2080 is only 750 litres according to Eheim,
I am sure Clive meant 2180 ;)
Umm..no, I don't think so mate. The 2080 is the big Pro 3 series and it's rated at 1700LPH not 750. It's actual output with filled-to-the-brim media is certainly closer to 750LPH, :arghh: but we've already taken that into account with the 10X rule. The 2180 is the Thermofilter version of the 2080 and it has the same rating. 8)

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
LondonDragon said:
Mark Webb said:
Umm..no, I don't think so mate. The 2080 is the big Pro 3 series and it's rated at 1700LPH not 750. It's actual output with filled-to-the-brim media is certainly closer to 750LPH, :arghh: but we've already taken that into account with the 10X rule. The 2180 is the Thermofilter version of the 2080 and it has the same rating. 8)

Cheers,

The reduction in flow rate for this filter when fully loaded with media is unbelievable "a drop in flow of 950lph", i think some clarification is needed. No wonder I am having problems if this is right.

Regards

paul.

ceg4048 said:
LondonDragon said:
Mark Webb said:

Cheers,

eheim pro2 2028
For Tank litre/gal: 600/132
Pump Output: 1050 l/h
Filter Circulation: 750 l/h

eheim pro 3 2028
For Tank litre: 1200 ltr
Pump Output: 1700 ltr

Flyfisherman said:
The reduction in flow rate for this filter when fully loaded with media is unbelievable "a drop in flow of 950lph", i think some clarification is needed. No wonder I am having problems if this is right.
Paul, no clarification is needed. The 10X rule is based on this principal that filters lose 50% or so of their flow. The flow loss is simply due to the friction and blockage of the media. When manufacturers rate their output it's with an empty filter and very little pressure head. The ratings are therefore optimistic at best. This is why the rule specifically calls out a 10X "Rating". Whatever a filter is rated at we discount that by 50%. Having a 10X filter "rating" means that the actual turnover in the region of 3X-5X the tank volume.

Instead of trying to figure out each filters actual turnover, which will vary as a function of media type and volume, and will also depend on how far below the water line it is sitting, it's simpler to use a generic 10X calculation which get you where you need to be.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Flyfisherman said:
Paul, no clarification is needed. The 10X rule is based on this principal that filters lose 50% or so of their flow. The flow loss is simply due to the friction and blockage of the media. When manufacturers rate their output it's with an empty filter and very little pressure head. The ratings are therefore optimistic at best. This is why the rule specifically calls out a 10X "Rating". Whatever a filter is rated at we discount that by 50%. Having a 10X filter "rating" means that the actual turnover in the region of 3X-5X the tank volume.

Instead of trying to figure out each filters actual turnover, which will vary as a function of media type and volume, and will also depend on how far below the water line it is sitting, it's simpler to use a generic 10X calculation which get you where you need to be.

Cheers,

Clive

I might as well have kept my Ex1200 saved meself some money, I have only increased my flow by 250lph for 200 quid. That was well worth the money spent.

Regards

paul.

Looks like I am OK with 2 x 2028's then :) . Solved the leak which was due to the original manufactered tap which has been found to be faulty.

Back