• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

what plant is this?

What plant is this and is it fully aquatic? I want to use it in a low tech and a high tech tank, but I'm not sure what it is.
2014-09-17151128_zps36014f1d.jpg

Martin, that looks like murdania for me, but the leaves are much bigger than I usually see underwater. Maybe that's because it's emersed form.

crumbs looks like a type of bamboo but im sure an expert will know good luck with it :)

do one submerged and one emerged
good idea.....I will try growing in pots sub- and emerged, this way I can get it out of my tank as soon as it starts to go bad.
I am still hoping that it would turn out to be Murdannia keisak as this is an plant found in Asia.

Hi all,
Having had a second look I'm pretty sure that the way the new leaf is unfurling looks more like a grass (Poaceae).

In plants from the family Commelinaceae the new leaf unfurls from either edge. This is the new leaf on Murdannia keisak (below). Some grasses also have this "involute" unfurling, but I'm not sure about Oplismenus.
Murdannia_keisak-d_VW.jpg

cheers Darrel

I'm with Darrel..........looks "grassy".
- if it has quite "distinct and solid knees" (the knots on the stem between leaves), that are quite hard, but can easily be broken and a quite "hard and smooth" stem, which is a little difficult to break..............it's likely to be a grass.
- if the knots on stem between leaves are quite soft and the stem is soft and can easily be broken.........it's likely Comeliceae- family.
Those with interest in potted plants will know Tradescantia (Wandering Jew) - a typical member of Comeliaceae-family.

I'm quite sure, it isn't Murdannia keisak by the way.

Back