• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the flow & turnover

Flow will be the total movement of water within the tank and turnover the total water movement through the filter/sump. Well that's how it works in marine tanks anyway

As i see it: turnover: amount of times the tankvolume goes through a filter (canister or sump); Flow: movement of water through the tank ( through filter pumps and circulation pumps)
My tank goes thorought the filter app 2 times /hour (2 times turnover), with circulationpumps i had a flow of app 20000 liter.

Flow is measured in litres/second, pints/hour, gallons/minute, bushels per fortnight ie volume per time.

Turnover is number of times tank volume is cycled per unit time. ie a 200 litre per hour filter will turnover a 100 litre tanks 2 times an hour.

"low flow" can be discussed qualitatively, in that it doesn't only mean "low turnover". You can pump 20x turnover in to a tank, but if its set up poorly there will be some areas that don't see much movement. Imagine a powerhead blasting straight at a large rock- high turnover but poor flow.

Flow is measured in litres/second, pints/hour, gallons/minute, bushels per fortnight ie volume per time.

Turnover is number of times tank volume is cycled per unit time. ie a 200 litre per hour filter will turnover a 100 litre tanks 2 times an hour.

Those two examples are the same thing, flowrate or the measure of flow per time unit. Flow isn't really quantitative, it's more to do with the type of movement, such as laminar and turbulent etc.

Flow in your tank would be very difficult to measure, there's movement or flow everywhere depending on your setup. You can measure the flow rate going in and out of your tank if you know how much water is going through an internal/external filter or power head though, the internal and power heads would be more difficult to quantify. This movement through the filter or powerhead would be your turn over of water ie 10 tanks of water per hour or the flow rate of x Liter or Kg of water per minute/second/hour/day etc.

Last edited:
bushels per fortnight

You missed megalitres per decade :lol:

Can some kind sole explain in a easy to understand manner.

I agree entirely with the others who say turnover is what you have going through the filter/sump. Your flow is everything else you have in the tank, powerheads etc not forgetting the return from the filter itself.

This may not be technically or scientifically correct, but it's what most people go with within this hobby.

Back