• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is the fine gravel used in most of the Tropica videos?

Wisey

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the fine gravel is that is used in many of the Tropica layout videos? A few of them say Radasand, but many just say 0.8mm to 1.2mm gravel. Is gravel that fine really gravel, or is it actually sand?

I don't seem to be able to find Radasand available anywhere, never mind in the UK. Is there a UK available alternative?

I'm going to be dosing EI, so rather than spend a fortune on Amazonia or something like that, I might just use Tropica Plant Growth Substrate capped with fine gravel.

Thanks,

Wisey.

Can you get ADA sands where you live? I have Nile sand in one tank and Sarawak sand in another. Both are very nice.

I can't get much of anything decent where I live, so most things have to be ordered online or I might be able to get the LFS to order it in, but most places don't stock much of anything interesting.

I can order some sand up online, my question was more whether the stuff being used in the Tropica videos is just sand, or if it is a fine gravel at that grain size?

my question was more whether the stuff being used in the Tropica videos is just sand, or if it is a fine gravel at that grain size?[/quote]
The 0,8 is the grain-size, yes.
Tropica scapes are created by both Tropica and different scapers. We (try to) have a standard list to go with each scape - but sometimes specific info is unfortunately not available.
By far most of the "Tropica's own" scapes use either the red-ish Rådasand, or a brigjt grey-ish one, that is a quartz. Both of those are grain-size 0,8 , since that's what I prefere to work with.

Important thing is, that the gravel is inert, ancher the plant-roots and allow for god watercirculation.
Anything else - is a matter of taste............
- hope this helps :)

Hi Mick.Dk, yes, that does help, thank you! It was the greyish sand that I had in mind. It does not seem that Radasand is something I can get my hands on in the UK. I'll have a look at the Unipac sands as they seem to be good value for money.

Hi Mick.Dk, yes, that does help, thank you! It was the greyish sand that I had in mind. It does not seem that Radasand is something I can get my hands on in the UK. I'll have a look at the Unipac sands as they seem to be good value for money.
As I said : - a matter of taste !! Just check whatever you choose is inert. There are products "out there" (ex. from marble-production), that changes chemistry of your water considerably - which may not be desirable.

Unipac do one called Maui which is a grey quartz gravel, fine is 1-2mm and coarse is 2-3mm. From what I have found out "most" Unipac is inert, but I will confirm 100% before I buy anything. Thanks again for advice and info!

Back