• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What are my plants telling me?

scoobiemandan

Simple question; What are my Amozon Swords trying to tell me?

DSC_0464_zpsjdl6gako.jpg

Many thanks

- BN Plec
- Black Neon Tetra
- Platy
- Glass Catfish
- Albino Cory

I think it's more to do with a light/ferts issue but I can't seem to get the balance right. Either I have plants looking like they do or an abundance of GHA and BBA!

I'm more interested in what people can ascertain from the leaves. I've seen things on the net that show what imbalances/deficiences cause different damage to leaves but I can't quite pinpoint it.

I'm dosing TNC Complete, Tropica Premium Fertiliser and Flourish Excel (15/15/7.5ml respectively). Lights are only on for four hours a day at present having recently been increased from 3 hours per day. I'm keeping the lighting low because of the algae issues I seem to be getting. Without healthy plant growth I'm finding it a harder battle with the algae!

Looks like pleco damage. Can you provide close ups of new growth, damage, other plants in the tank and FTS?

I do utilise root tabs Sarpijk.

I'm not thinking it's Pleco damage as he's been in the tank for an age and prior to my last change, which was to replace the gravel for sand (for the Cory), I had Swords in there which flourished and he didn't touch.

The planting issues all came about when I did the aforementioned change and decided to go without a underlying plant substrate, hence why I use root tabs. I've been led to believe that root tabs will suffice as there is no substrate.

Here's some pics of the plants individually;

DSC_0465_zpsvsntytbu.jpg
DSC_0466_zps1auyrnmy.jpg
DSC_0467_zpsvkdkhvn3.jpg
DSC_0468_zps7bijxzje.jpg
DSC_0469_zps1u7obr3j.jpg

FTS;

DSC_0470_zpswflq0jvu.jpg

New growth, if you can make it out;

DSC_0471_zps0txn26fo.jpg
DSC_0472_zpsq8tuaoag.jpg

Swords are heavy on the iron IME, and they love to have their roots in nutrient rich substrate.
But that said it looks to me like they're suffering grazing damage.
However, it could be that's because they were weakened/tenderised by some sort of nutrient deficiency in the first place. So it could be a combo of factors.

Back