• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vine like plant or moss to grow on rock?

Ryan Young

Hi all,
Setting up a 30cm cube and decided to take inspiration from an aquascape I recently saw and caught my eye.
So as seen in the picture there is a large rock in the middle which ties the scape together nicely, I like seeing the rock bare without being swarmed by moss and therefore a plant variety may be more favorable than a moss.

All I am looking for is something that will hang from the front edge of this rock to create a vine appearance to add a little more to the scape, any suggestions?

I was also thinking about replacing the plant at the back for Eleocharis Sp as I love the look of it but feel I will need more colour and bulk the lower level alongside the Eleocharis Sp, other than an alternanthera mini does anyone have a suggestion of a low- ish level plant that is red, or just not green and will accompany the Eleocharis without overcrowding it if possible?

Sorry, a bit long winded.
Thanks Ryan :)

04e42b10a52f55f1a006ad69eec2cebf.jpg

Hi all,
Setting up a 30cm cube and decided to take inspiration from an aquascape I recently saw and caught my eye.
So as seen in the picture there is a large rock in the middle which ties the scape together nicely, I like seeing the rock bare without being swarmed by moss and therefore a plant variety may be more favorable than a moss.

All I am looking for is something that will hang from the front edge of this rock to create a vine appearance to add a little more to the scape, any suggestions?

I was also thinking about replacing the plant at the back for Eleocharis Sp as I love the look of it but feel I will need more colour and bulk the lower level alongside the Eleocharis Sp, other than an alternanthera mini does anyone have a suggestion of a low- ish level plant that is red, or just not green and will accompany the Eleocharis without overcrowding it if possible?

Sorry, a bit long winded.
Thanks Ryan :)

04e42b10a52f55f1a006ad69eec2cebf.jpg

Love that pic, what's that plant on the far right back, red?

I believe it is Rotala rotundifolia however this is not my aquarium, this is just one which I found interesting and would like to take inspiration from.
Sorry for confusion.
Ryan :)

I think the designer of this scape is called Volker Jochum, he has some really interesting aquascapes!

Hi Ryan,

I have grown Hydrocotyle Tripartita sp. 'Japan'. It has a lovely trailing windy vine effect throughout the different layers or levels of the tank.

I have also seen recently a member call Greenfinger2 or Roy trying to create a vine like approach with string and moss.

Might be worth looking at that.

P.S. Check your PM's

Back