• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Fuzz Algae Issue

Flask

Hello all, just joined and decided to jump right in to seek some feedback on some red fuzz type algae that is on the leaves of my plants. I set up my tank this past September so it's pretty well seasoned. The tank is what I would consider moderately planted. I have struggled getting the right mix of light & ferts so the plants have always had some algae on them. I thought I was making good headway but now I'm not so sure. Here are the specifics:
Tank:
29 gallon with a Sachem Tidal75 HOB filter and a Fluval 3.0 Planted LED light(32 watt). The current light settings are as follows: 70% red, 3% blue, 25% cold white, 70% pure white and 70% warm white. I run the light 8hrs./day with a 1 hr. ramp up and ramp down and 6 hrs. stretch in between. I also inject CO2. I start the injection 2 hrs. before ramp up. When I test the PH just before the lights start to come up I get a 1ppm drop with a 4KH. according to the CO2 chart that equates to 30% saturation rate. There are 2 circulation pumps (1@ 425gph and 1 @ 565gph) to help with circulation.
Water Parameters: I use tap water with Prime ,when tested there is no significant amount of Nitrate, Phosphate or iron in the tap water. I test the tank water 3 times a week. I do a 50% water change every week. I use Sachem Flourish ferts, the nutrient specific type not the all -in one. I also dose Trace (micro nutrients )as well using Seachems dosing chart for all ferts. Water temp. in tank is 72 degrees F.

Nitrate: 5ppm. I initially started with 10ppm but I never saw a decrease when I tested during the week until I did the weekly water change. I dropped it to 5ppm ( at least 6 weeks ago) thinking that the higher value would lead to algae issues. Even at 5ppm it doesn't change during the weekly testing until I do the water change.
Phosphate - 1.0ppm
Potassium -? Can't test for it. No test kit available in the states. I dose 5 ml. 2 times/week
KH - 4-5
GH -6
Iron - dosed @ 3ml. 3 times/week . Residual is .25ppm 15 minutes after dosing.

Plants - 1 Java fern, 3 Crypt Wendetii , bit of Vallisneria Torta , 2 dwarf Water Lili's and 1 pennyworth.
Fish Load - 8 Cherry Barbs, 5 Harlequin Rasboras and 4 Albino Cory Cat's.

Don't think fish load is a problem. Maintenance is being done , CO2 seems to be right, so is there an imbalance between lighting and ferts? Maybe need more plants? Any help would be appreciated!
IMG_1594.JPG

I wouldn’t trust the water test results. Your best indication of what’s in the water is what you put into it. I would do the following:
Add more plants
Take the crypts out of the pots and plant them in tank.
Change fertiliser (seachem is v. Expensive) and increase the amount nutrients you add to allow plants to out compete the algae.

Back