• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting in vitro plants with ADA Amazonia

Fran

Hi all, will be starting my new tank shortly and will be using Ada amazonia (normal type). I plan to use in vitro plants due to the cost. Has anyone any experience planting in vitro in this soil. I'm concerned the shorter root structures will not remain anchored. Any advice appreciated.

I've attempted this recently with ADA substrate. I've had very poor results, but I don't believe it to be because of the substrate. I don't want to think about how much money I've spent trying to get In Vitro HC/Glosso/Hydrocotyle/Rotala to grow.

I feel like I've finally figured out why the plants die after a few weeks and will be attempting a slightly different approach.

For any In Vitro plant, my experience has been that you cannot just submerge it straight away or the leaves will slowly turn transparent and it will die in a matter of weeks (I'm confident this is not due to lack of CO2 as my DC was almost orange at one point and my LED's were very low, around 15%).

You have to either let the plant float for 4-6 weeks while it adapts, or grow it immersed until root structure is fully established then flood with high CO2.

My new plants are on the way and I'm going to test this theory out by growing them immersed for a month or 2 before flooding.

Keen to hear about your experience also, please keep me up to date!

Pretty much just use invitro plants now as opposite to Julian I find them adapt better to life under water in both high and low tech tanks. I have no problems putting them into normal sand. Okay a few come out here and there but I usually find that with any plant really. Just replant and replant until they stay in.

Plants are in, hoping this kind of shotgun approach will yield better results...
fa23ae95ce06b9a1d56cb6adbb154580.jpg

f28f25c617a041a334e21025f1df7a4a.jpg

Thanks for reply guys.

I've attempted this recently with ADA substrate. I've had very poor results, but I don't believe it to be because of the substrate. I don't want to think about how much money I've spent trying to get In Vitro HC/Glosso/Hydrocotyle/Rotala to grow.

I feel like I've finally figured out why the plants die after a few weeks and will be attempting a slightly different approach.

For any In Vitro plant, my experience has been that you cannot just submerge it straight away or the leaves will slowly turn transparent and it will die in a matter of weeks (I'm confident this is not due to lack of CO2 as my DC was almost orange at one point and my LED's were very low, around 15%).

You have to either let the plant float for 4-6 weeks while it adapts, or grow it immersed until root structure is fully established then flood with high CO2.

My new plants are on the way and I'm going to test this theory out by growing them immersed for a month or 2 before flooding.

Keen to hear about your experience also, please keep me up to date!

I plan of planting heavily at the start (like Julian's shotgun approach) so am hoping the majority will stay rooted. I reckon I'll just keep replanting. I have had success with planting in vitro into gravel before and am just concerned about them anchoring in the amazonia. I read somewhere that the powder yype is better for planting smaller plants but my budget is exhausted and I have just enough to buy the plants really so I think I'll go ahead as planned. Cheers.

The smaller grain type is easier to plant smaller plants, but it can still be achieved with regular sized grains. Don't worry about it, once they put their roots down, they take a strong hold on the substrate which keeps them anchored.

I have just added some vitro glosso to my tank and it has gone wild. For smaller plants you are better using some of the powder type ada soil because of its smaller size the plants stay in it better. I use normal soil as a base and cap it with a bit of the powder. I have used the normal stuff with hc before and it does get hold eventually but be careful not to get too much water flow straight at it until it has had chance to grab hold.

I was thinking of getting some powder just to cover the area in which I want to place micranthemum monte carlo but as mentioned the budget is exhausted. I might stretch to a 3kg bag if I can arrange a postal delivery when the wife is out;)

Just thought I'd send an update. More bad results from 'in vitro plants', but some new lessons learned.

Before this attempt, I wrapped the tank in clingfilm leaving a small gap and used a heater in a bowl of water to create humidity, but things got very moldy and the plants died within a week or 2.

This time I did it without the heater and misted the plants twice a day, however I think the water level was too high - only about 1 cm from the surface. I think this, combined with not enough air exchange and too much humidity was the problem.

I went from this:

9hgdPzQ.jpg

To this: (after taking out all of the dead plants)

TZ3uobD.jpg

So I'm back to square one again, but at least the other plants have survived and I only need to replace the HC.

I think the trick is to create humidity without the temperature. I have some cuttings in a sealed container sitting next to my very cold kitchen window, which get hardly any sun, and they are doing just fine.

I've ordered some more which will hopefully turn up today. This time I'm going to drain the tank completely and leave some very large gaps for air exchange. Will let you know how it goes.

If anyone has any other tips that might help, it would be greatly appreciated!

You really really shouldn't need to plant the carpet plants that heavy, put them in smaller clumps. Haven't done a dry start butI do have propergators which the water level is at the same level as the top soil. I simple put the plants on top of the soil (not push them in), and let them grow on their own. Slow growing over winter without a heater but they're starting to pick up as the tempature rises, just spray once or twice a day.

Just thought I'd send an update. More bad results from 'in vitro plants', but some new lessons learned.
Thanks for update Julian. Sorry to hear things are not going well but at least most of the plants survived. I see you are using the dry start method. Its a method I know nothing about at the moment but I think I'll carry out some research on it.

I personally plan to plant all my in vitro plants, flood the tank, turn on the lights and co2 and see how things go. I previously planted pogostemon Helferi and staurogyne repens (in vitro) and they grew very well once I got the co2 flow correct. My previous aquascape only failed as I had a 400 litre tank (my first planted tank) and could not get the co2 flow right with the equipment I had at the time. I hope somebody on here can provide you with some useful advice. Best of luck and please keep us updated. Cheers.

If anyone has any other tips that might help, it would be greatly appreciated!
With the few emmersed setups I've had I cling film completely and mist every couple of days no additional heater, usually around 12 hours of t5 lighting, this method has worked well for me. I did have a whole propagator of Monte Carlo melt in the summer, I became distracted and didn't check or mist it for a few days and the heat ruined it very quickly.

Hi all,
Before this attempt, I wrapped the tank in clingfilm leaving a small gap and used a heater in a bowl of water to create humidity, but things got very moldy and the plants died within a week or 2.

This time I did it without the heater and misted the plants twice a day, however I think the water level was too high - only about 1 cm from the surface. I think this, combined with not enough air exchange and too much humidity was the problem.
Pretty much just use in vitro plants now as opposite to Julian I find them adapt better to life under water in both high and low tech tanks. I have no problems putting them into normal sand. Okay a few come out here and there but I usually find that with any plant really. Just replant and replant until they stay in.
I think the problem isn't anything to do with the water level, or humidity. I think the problem is the high level of nutrients in the "ADA Amazonia" substrate itself. This is why "EnderUK" hasn't found a problem with planting into sand.

The mechanism for damage is via osmosis, and the small volume of water in the DSM method would lead to a strong solution of salts in the small volume of water used. Tissue cultured plants would be particularly susceptible to damage because of their very soft growth.

If you look at what is left of the carpet in the "after" picture that looks very much like "fertiliser burn". (from <http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/PESTS/abiofert.html>)
abiofertburn.jpg

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, that makes a lot of sense. What would be the best course of action here? I've got some more HC on the way and was going to try just placing it on the top of the soil instead of planting them directly into it, mist daily and keep the water level as low as possible.

The picture of the damaged plants is very similar to what I had in a propagator...
...after I decided to spray left over EI macro solution directly on the monte carlo!

Hi all,
What would be the best course of action here? I've got some more HC on the way and was going to try just placing it on the top of the soil instead of planting them directly into it, mist daily and keep the water level as low as possible.
I'm not sure. The problem is that the water in contact with the Amazonia will have a very high conductivity (the soluble salts will have gone into solution), and it is the salts that cause the "fertiliser burn".

You could try capping the soil with some sand where the HC is going to go, but even then you may still have problems with fertilizer burn.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,I'm not sure. The problem is that the water in contact with the Amazonia will have a very high conductivity (the soluble salts will have gone into solution), and it is the salts that cause the "fertiliser burn".

You could try capping the soil with some sand where the HC is going to go, but even then you may still have problems with fertilizer burn.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel. As mentioned, some cuttings of HC that I threw into a Tupperware container with some ADA and a tiny bit of water is doing really well. Logic tells me to try and recreate these successful conditions in my tank so I'll chuck it in and see what happens.

Hi all,
As mentioned, some cuttings of HC that I threw into a Tupperware container with some ADA and a tiny bit of water is doing really well. Logic tells me to try and recreate these successful conditions in my tank so I'll chuck it in and see what happens.
That sounds a plan.

It may be a humidity issue. f you can keep the humidity really high then the loss of water via the <"transpiration stream"> will be reduced, and this should limit the salt uptake and damage.

cheers Darrel

Back