• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pearling only on new plants

Kevin DuRose

Seedling
hi,
New to aquascaping and have just set up a 240 litre aquascape. I originally had staghorn algae problem brought about by using 1/3 tapwater in my original set up, this was compounded by a 14hr power cut 3 weeks into the scape. I've since begun to get this under control with frequent water changes using ro water with re mineral additive. Plants are growing relatively slowly but still getting powder algae on glass but now being removeD by nerite snails. The strange thing is only new plants pearl and after about a week pearling stops but they seem healthy enough. I'm guessing this may be due to lack of nutrients impairing photosynthesis. Does this sound right or could there be another explanation. I'm worried about dosing ferts causing an algae outbreak. Any suggestions ??

I originally had staghorn algae problem brought about by using 1/3 tapwater in my original set up, this was compounded by a 14hr power cut 3 weeks into the scape.

Tap water has nothing to do with staghorn algae and neither does it have anything to do with power cuts. These are all illusions.
Staghorn algae is caused by any combination of poor CO2, poor flow/distribution, poor filter maintenance, or disturbance of dirty substrate and failing to perform a water change immediately afterward.

Plants are growing relatively slowly but still getting powder algae on glass but now being removeD by nerite snails.
Snails will never solve the fundamental underlying problems that cause algae. If you are referring to Green Dust Algae then this is due to poor CO2/flow/distribution and too much light.

Does this sound right
No.

could there be another explanation
Yes, see points above.

I'm worried about dosing ferts causing an algae outbreak.
People who worry about this have more algae than anyone else because nutrients don't cause algae. Lack of nutrients causes algae.

Any suggestions ??
Yes, review your flow/distribution and CO2 techniques.

Cheers,

Back