• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to the planted tank game

Tom707

Hey guys,
Just wondered if anybody out there would like to help me out answering a few questions I have. I'll start with this, my Anubias has black spots on the old leaves that cannot be removed by simply rubbing, would like to know what the probable cause is and how I can prevent it.

430255b81f33958df1a67b4b7ffae1b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Looks like the start of Black Brush Algae (BBA), and you may also have some Green Spot Algae (GSA). These, coupled with the pale green colour of the leaves, suggest that the light levels are a bit high.

I only have low tech. tanks, and I'd move the the plant to where it is more shaded, or adding some more floaters.

cheers Darrel

Thank you Darrel,
If I move to a shaded area will it eventually clear up or should I remove the leaves and wait for new growth.

Hi all,
If I move to a shaded area will it eventually clear up
Should do.

I try and retain as many leaves as possible on Anubias, Bolbitis and Java Fern. Because they don't grow very quickly low tech., but have leaves that will remain green for several years, it helps to build up the plants.

Once they've reached a "critical mass" growth is much faster, and you can build up large plants.

I've got a submersed Bolbitis plant that is now football sized, and I know that it has grown from a single rhizome with 5 - 6 leaves over the last ~5 years.

cheers Darrel

Again thank you, learning so much from this forum. What plants would you recommend that would do well in a low tech tank, I currently have a 125 litre tank with t5 lights, eco complete for a substrate and dose with flourish excel once a week after a 20-30% water change. Currently my bristlenose is stripping my Amazon sword plant so that's not doing so well and my stem plants seem to be struggling. Any advice welcome

Hi all,
Currently my bristlenose is stripping my Amazon sword plant
They like Echinodorus leaves, you could try feeding some vegetables (Courgette etc.), to see if that stops it.
What plants would you recommend that would do well in a low tech tank, I currently have a 125 litre tank with t5 lights, eco complete for a substrate and dose with flourish excel once a week after a 20-30% water change.
Most of the plants from the <"Tropica Easy"> list should be growable. One of the problems with buying plants is that they are nearly all produced commercially in terrestrial glasshouses with 400ppm CO2, so that they need an acclimatisation period to get used to growing submerged.

cheers Darrel

Currently my bristlenose is stripping my Amazon sword plant
feed some veggies, cucumber, courgette, eggplant, sweet potatoe, pepper, just boil a piece and put it in the tank. You may need to find out the individuals taste;)

Edvet, how often would you feed this type of food, currently he has an algae wafer every other day and what ever else he scavenged from what I feed the other fish?

Hi all,They like Echinodorus leaves, you could try feeding some vegetables (Courgette etc.), to see if that stops it. Most of the plants from the <"Tropica Easy"> list should be growable. One of the problems with buying plants is that they are nearly all produced commercially in terrestrial glasshouses with 400ppm CO2, so that they need an acclimatisation period to get used to growing submerged.

cheers Darrel

Thanks again been a great help just need to find somewhere that stocks tropica plants now

Leave the piece in over night and remove in the morning?

Back