• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Layout, planting, pruning etc

jamesb

Hi all. It's been a while since I used the forum. I used to have a planted community tank. Growing the plants was never the problem. I used to do ai feeding and had a fire extinguisher co2 injection system. My problem was I had all this fantastic growth but the bottom half of my plants were dieing. So when I pruned them I was left with the poor part and pruning the good stuff. Now it can't be that I am supposed to swap all the old for the new every time you prune them can it? I know flow wasn't the issue as I was running around 13x and I know it wasn't food or co2 or lighting as I had reflectors over my t5's. Was I maybe planting too densely and that was the cause of the issue?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yep, maybe you should have swapped the new growth for old; but that said both thrive in my tanks. Also regardless of x flow the scape layout could have prevented flow and CO2 distribution where it was needed. I always plant densely but have never suffered CO2 deficiency. But to be sure of what ails your tank we need more info on your setup....tank dimensions, lighting intensity and duration, fertz regime, etc.
P.S. did you mean EI instead of ai...excuse my ignorance but I'm only familiar with ai as in artificial intelligence...

Sorry yes ei. Tank was rio 180. Standard t5 bulbs with reflectors on for between 6 and 8 hours a day dosing macro and micro alternate days. I now have a vision 260 currently as a mbuna set up but thinking about going for a low maintenence planted tank with discus. Doesn't matter what mbuna I put in the tank always looks a bit bare as it's just rocks.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

13x flow (output) doesn't mean you have good current all over a tank, there might be obstacles blocking the current in some places or even plants that grow infront of the outlet.
Some plants are better cut and replanted, because their bottom leaves didn't get enough light and/or nutrients for staying healthy an fresh.

Back