• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is This Manzanita?

Harry Muscle

I found this for sale and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that this is indeed manzanita wood? According to the seller this piece is 160cm tall.

Screenshot_20240221-183215_Facebook~2.jpg

Thanks,
Harry

Pieces like that you can find available as, for instance, wedding decorations. I don't know if there are particular drying/sterilizing things you'd need to do. I'd be wary of a non aquarium seller giving it that name based on aesthetics rather than botany...

Hi all,
I found this for sale and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that this is indeed manzanita wood?
I'd be wary of a non aquarium seller giving it that name based on aesthetics rather than botany...
I agree with @richardcunliffe, but I'm not sure anyone will have the definitive answer. I would guess that it isn't, mainly because the little branches and twigs are intact. This is Manzanita wood from California <"Manzanita wood shipment to the UK: where to ship it to">.

manzanita3-jpg.jpg

We have some older threads where @plantbrain (Tom Barr) talks about collecting Manzanita (Arctostaphylos manzanita) at high altitude in the Sierra Nevada mountains <"Where the manzanita I collect comes from">.

Manzanita has the advantage of being an <"Ericoid shrub">, <"resistant to decay"> and of growing slowly in extreme weather conditions.

Inactive member @parotet (Jordi) collected some Juniper in Spain, with similar characteristics <"Nice source of driftwood">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back