• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is it better to have the light 6-7 inches above the water or against the lid

candymancan

I have a 44g Pentagon.. that im messing with and I have a Orbit 2x 65w Power Compact light. Its 22 inches long the tank is 30 inches long and 25 inches deep. So the tank has a lot of girth making it hard to get light in every spot of the tank.. I have the light along the length of the tank and in doing so the very back corner of the tank is kinda dark but if I position the light differently then another spot of the tank is dark.. So I just put a T8 light fixture in the back to keep it lit up.

Now the Orbit fixture has legs that raise it a good 6-7 inches above the water line. I can take those legs off and lay it directly on the glass.. But im wondering what would be better for lighting the tank ? Would raising it be better to spread the light more through the tank... or would putting it against the glass be better ? I noticed raising it lowers the light level in the tank by quite a lot and lowering it makes the tank a lot brighter.. but im sure the light spread throughout the tank isn't as great laying down vs standing up..

I just dunno what to do lol.

kinda surprised after like 10 days no one has answered my question lol..

What is better to have the lights higher up or further down ?

Well the tank is 25 inches deep (front to back).. I doubt there is any light made that is that big.. And this fixture I have is pretty big in itself.. it has 2 PC bulbs.. essentially 4 tubes.. I have to use a 13 inch T8 fixture in the back of the tank to light the back up lol So I have basically 5 tubes over my tank... 25 inches deep is deeper then a 75-110g tank.. So you can imagine how difficult it is to light this thing

Back