• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I found this in my aquarium

monocl

Hello everyone, long time lurker here, first post.
Sorry if my english is a bit off, not my 1st language.

I was looking around in one of my oldest tanks and i found something ive never seen before.

The tank is around 5 years old, its dirted, small (5 gal), heavily planted, small sponge filter and very healthy. Currently being used as a breeding tank for my neocaridinas.

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg

So this thing is stuck to the glass and looks like a starfish, i tried poking it with a pair of tweezers and it shrunk its tentacles but didnt budge. Its really really really small, cant see it with the naked eye.

Here is a photo of one of my shrimps with less magnification to illustrate how small that thing is.

IMG_2391.jpeg

So, anyone has any idea of what that thing is? should i be worried? The tank is stable as a rock and full of shrimplets.

Thanks!

Yep I would have to agree with Simon above - Hydra. If you have been running the tank for so long, I would keep an eye on it and try to avoid cross contamination with other tanks. kinda see how things go. Over the years I have come to the conclusion it is a balancing act, we try to create a tiny piece of nature, and when one thing appears that we don't like we try to nuke it, leeches, snails, algae, planaria,white spot, etc,
have a look at How to Get Rid of Hydra in Your Aquarium.
I have no experience of hydra so looked online, it may be better to wait until someone more knowledgeable than me answers, I would not worry to much. its something you want to get rid of, you'll lose the odd baby shrimp.

Last edited:
Back