• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hydrocotyle Tripartita Not Growing

Aeropars

Hi all,

I've had some Hydrocotyle Tripartita in my tank now for a few weeks but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've heard this should grow like a weed but it seems not in my tank.

I've seen slow but healthy growth from nearly all of my plants apart from this one so I'm a bit stumped.

I'm dosing EI, have a lime green drop checker with a 1PH drop to confirm good CO2 as well as good flow.

Does anyone have any idea on what the hell is going on with this plant?

You're not wrong!

I thought i had gotten to grips with my new LED lighting after cooking all my plants with far too much light. The few plants that had some life left in them appear to be recovering quite well but the H Tripp is another matter. I'm wondering if giving it a trim might help promote some new growth. Its also a possibility my Angel fish are eating it but I never see them do it.

Its also a possibility my Angel fish are eating it but I never see them do it.
Don't discount this possibility ... I've had past angels that ranged from excellent planted tank-mates to quite (in)decent "grazers" - you might look at their diet & expand it's range (eg, I usually include some spirulina enriched (frozen) brine shrimp)

At present I have chocolate gouramis that occasionally decide to decimate the Micranthemum umbrosum & always practise trimming (mid stem) the Didiplis diandra - they don't eat the leafs, just snip them neatly at leaf/stem junction & then release after a taste ... I finally saw them at work on the D diandra
They mostly practise their villainy in the dark - it was ages before I finally saw a bold fellow plant stripping during photoperied

When I set-up my tank I had Hydrocotyle Tripartita that I bought as tissue culture. I was surprised when it wouldn't grow too, I have EI dosing, pressurised CO2, Tropica substrate below the sand and I had read it was easy to grow and it just did nothing, even after a month there was really very little activity. My TMC 1500 LED tile is about 30 cm above the water and therefore about 70 cm from the substrate. I had started on 20% intensity for 5 hours a day and cautiously increased both intensity and duration. I would have to read through my journal to remember exactly what light levels it was at, but eventually it just took off and grew like a weed. I'm not saying blast it with light, but for me it took more light to get it to grow.

When I set-up my tank I had Hydrocotyle Tripartita that I bought as tissue culture. I was surprised when it wouldn't grow too, I have EI dosing, pressurised CO2, Tropica substrate below the sand and I had read it was easy to grow and it just did nothing, even after a month there was really very little activity. My TMC 1500 LED tile is about 30 cm above the water and therefore about 70 cm from the substrate. I had started on 20% intensity for 5 hours a day and cautiously increased both intensity and duration. I would have to read through my journal to remember exactly what light levels it was at, but eventually it just took off and grew like a weed. I'm not saying blast it with light, but for me it took more light to get it to grow.

Hi That could explain it my H tripp was in a pot with lots of growth and new shoots plus roots It took off like a rocket.

Back