• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High ph

malik uddin

Hi guys. I was wondering if liquid carbon dosing like colombo carbon will reduce ph. My tape water ph reads 8.2 and in tank ph is 8. I want to put some shrimp in my tank. Will liquid carbon help. Cheers malik

Hi all,
My tape water ph reads 8.2 and in tank ph is 8. I want to put some shrimp in my tank.
Cherry Shrimps are fine in hard, alkaline water, it is <"soft water that is unsuitable for them">.
was wondering if liquid carbon dosing like colombo carbon will reduce ph.
No, not really. You can't really <"add things to soften the water">, you can add an acid to reduce alkalinity, but it is a <"pointless exercise">. My opinion is you are best using the water that comes out of the tap, unless you can go down the <"rainwater (or RO) route">?

cheers Darrel

Hi guys. I was wondering if liquid carbon dosing like colombo carbon will reduce ph.
Hiya malik,

Glutaraldehyde solutions like Colombo, Easy life, Excel etc are slightly acidic, but they will have a negligible effect regarding lowering the ph of you tank water.
Here's a little test.
20240226_203650.jpg

Ph of easylife carbo.
20240226_203909.jpg

Ph of 150ml water.
20240226_203333.jpg

Ph of water after 10ml carbo added.
20240226_203402.jpg

Easylife easy carbo. 10ml added to 150ml of water, so 15:1 ratio dropped the ph by 0.15.
We are dosing liquid carbon in our tanks at a ratio around 50,000:1 so you can see dosing in the tank would have little to no effect on ph level.

Second thing to think about is the amount of CO2 that's actually generated from the carbon in glutaraldehyde. Somebody somewhere once did the maths and figured out a standard dose of liquid carbon probably releases something like 0.2ppm of co2 per hour (that'sassuming the carbon is released as co2 and not taken up by the plants in some other manner), I don't honestly know how accurate these numbers are but if they are remotely correct, at this level the effects on ph would be insignificant.

Last edited:
thats a real shame, i was hoping liquid carbon was the solution, thank you for the information, looks like i would be better off closing the windows and just talking to my take, that will produce more carbon than the liquid. its crazy wen i had a reef tank i would have killed to get a stable ph of above 8. Any one ever tried vinegar, sugar or vodka dosing in a freshwater tank. in my reef i used to dose organic carbon which was food for bacteria to help fight algae, because the bacteria ate nitrates and some phosphates. i wounder if such bacteria is present in freshwater. i wounder how carbon reduces algae in freshwater.

Any one ever tried vinegar, sugar or vodka dosing in a freshwater tank. in my reef i used to dose organic carbon which was food for bacteria to help fight algae, because the bacteria ate nitrates and some phosphates. i wounder if such bacteria is present in freshwater. i wounder how carbon reduces algae in freshwater.
People have definitely tried vodka and I have always found those stories entertaining if nothing else. I have dosed citric acid regularly which had no obvious effects on either shrimp or plants but which I believed caused the copepod population to expand very vigorously.

Hi all,
I have dosed citric acid regularly which had no obvious effects on either shrimp or plants
There is a <"definite suggestion"> that citric acid (HOC(CO2H)(CH2CO2H)2 (or C6H8O7)) aids plant growth.
Now that is interesting, freshwater copepods are usually difficult to culture (in reasonable amounts) <"https://aquaticlivefood.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/How-to-culture-Freshwater-Copepods.pdf">.

They are <"cat-nip for a lot of fish">.

cheers Darrel

Hi just work with the pH of the water you have re: plants and fish stock. Unless you want to go down the road of using RO water and mixing with tap water etc. This can be tedious.

Back