• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High Gh problem

apistomad

Hi

Just come back to the hobby and always wanted to grow plants so decided to setup a large planted tank in living room (8'×2.5'×2')

Long story short due to the phenomenal costs of substrates, tank, stand and lights, I cut a few corners with DIY LED lights, aquatic compost and baked clay oil spill pellets, Co2 fire extinguisher system.

After setting the tank up last weekend I finally managed to get some basic test kits only to find that my Gh was 360ppm, Kh 72ppm but Ph was 6.7, after investigation I found that test samples of the aquatic compost and capping layer of baked clay had similar readings, everything else being inert.

I am going to assume that given time and frequent water changes the "hardness" leeching from these substrates will reduce.

I am also assuming that what is being leeched is magnesium, if it had been calcium the Ph would of gone up ( correct me if I am wrong)

My question is how would high levels of Magnesium affect plants and soft water fish like tetras?

Any suggestions appreciated

P.S At the moment the plants are shooting up, some of them up to 2" per day

4cce4eed0e26527bae83bcf986bcedb1.jpg

Definitely leaching then. :)
As you thought, water changes will deal with it. The rate at which the minerals leach out will reduce as the substrate gets depleted, and the water changes will reduce what's in the water. It could take a while before you see no increase between water changes.

Did a 40% water change yesterday with 200 ltrs rain 200 tap took it 24 hrs to get to same level.

Still wondering what effect high magnesium would have on plants and fish? Any suggestions?

GH consists of calcium and magnesium amongst other things. Neither affect pH to any practical level. What would affect pH is KH, that is carbonates or bicarbonates. If you are seeing GH go up, then you only know it is calcium or magnesium, not which it is.

Back