• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC vs bottom dwellers

NC10

Evening all,

I was just wondering what type of bottom dwellers people with HC have?

I originally wanted some sort of Geophagus, but I'm guessing all my hard work and patience creating a carpet would soon be wiped out.

Next on the list is probably corydoras. A bit more gentle but I'm still thinking they'd do some damage.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience?

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.

I've been having a look at pygmies and corys in general but to be honest, apologies to cory lovers, they're just not doing it for me. Same with the ottos. :(

I did find this beaut for sale, but I don't think I can risk anything really can I? I want a couple of L numbers, so hopefully they'll do a half decent job on the sub without ripping the carpet up. Still a gamble though :nailbiting:

I'll let you know how they get on with it.

Pic of the cory:

imagejpg1_zps53583f8d.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

I've been having a look at pygmies and corys in general but to be honest, apologies to cory lovers, they're just not doing it for me. Same with the ottos. :(

I did find this beaut for sale, but I don't think I can risk anything really can I? I want a couple of L numbers, so hopefully they'll do a half decent job on the sub without ripping the carpet up. Still a gamble though :nailbiting:

I'll let you know how they get on with it.

Pic of the cory:

imagejpg1_zps53583f8d.jpg

I think Ian Holdich had these in a tank with a carpet and they didn't uproot it at all.
I'm guessing that it'll vary between tanks, with coverage area etc.
They won't uproot to get at food if there's some laying on a patch of sand somewhere else :p

I added my Gourami the day I posted this thread who has now taken to pulling bits up, as I imagined he would, but was hoping he wouldn't. Pretty peed of with him but this is a fish tank after all and not a show tank, so I'm going to have to live with it :(

Seems bottom dwellers were the least of my worries :lol:

He now has 5 altums to entertain him so fingers crossed it will take his mind of my carpet :hungry:

Corys may uproot the occasional one but they aren't too rough. I'd steer away from plecos, they'll dig up the substrate too.

Pygmy corys are middle water swimmers and unlike other corys they spend most of their time schooling around the tank middle and upper level. They look beautiful in larger numbers.
They do eat from the substrate but there's no way they'll dig up the carpet because they are tiny, about 4 times smaller width and height wise than normal corys. I love them, not sure why people don't like them. They have a gorgeous pinkish/shiny line in the middle when they are healthy and would look beautiful in a crisp clean tank.

Anyway, rant over. :lol: Your new corys are lovely Congrats.

Back