• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish ID wanted

DTL

I have a pair of small fish which have "appeared" in a recently set up soft water tank.
The tank has never had fish in if , so I assume they must have come in as eggs on the plants. Interestingly, they don't look like any fish I have in any of my tanks, so probably from some plants I bought from UKAPS members.
Any ideas on species? The fish in the pics are about 7mm long.
Apologies for picture quality.

abyma4y5.jpg

y4yrusar.jpg

me6edary.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not ottos then, can you get a clearer pic? Hard to tell

Hi all,
Could be Beckford's Pencil or Black-Neon Tetra, but from what I remember neither fry has as much black colour as yours, although both spawn pretty freely.

Emperor Tetra (Nematobrycon palmeri) or close would be my guess. They spawn pretty easily as well.

cheers Darrel

I know they're young but emperor tetras have quite tall bodies and a rounded head, this however is more pointed so my guess is some pencilfish. Whatever they are enjoy your free fish, they look really nice .

Thanks to everyone for their input.
The noses are not as pointed as pencil fish.
I'd say some kind of tetra or rasbora based on head shape.
I'll try and get some clearer pics with the better half's camera tonight.

I think Darrel has got as close as anyone can.
Well done on accidentally raising them anyhow whatever they may be :)

I agree with Darrel, I have tankloads of emperors and they look like that when juvenile.
John

Back