• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter flow and pearling

Jaap

Hi,

I have a 1000 l/h filter with a spraybar at the back of a 40L tank. The flow is quite strong.

I have noticed that when I stop the filter, the plants pearl and oxygen bubbles are visible leaving the leaves going towards the water surface. Which one of the two is most likely:

1. The strong water currents are not optimum for photosynthesis and by stopping the filter, it allows the plants to photosynthesize and thus they pearl.

2. The plants already pearl and produce oxygen bubbles but due to the high filter outflow they are taken away and are not visible to the naked eye.

I know pearling has nothing to do with healthy plants, however if the case is that number 1 is true then too much flow is bad!

Thanks

Number one is totally false. Number twois true but not the whole truth. Do a search on pearling. Its also got to do with surface agitation.

Back